Santiago, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 22nd 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived really early in the morning in Santiago, we were really confused by the currency it felt like we had thousands of pounds and thought we were getting ripped off byt thetaxi driver, but turns out we werent!

We struggled a bit with the language as not many people spoke English and we really didnt speak Spanish apart from a few words! But we managed through emails to get booked for a tour of some wine vineyards!

At dinner we tried some Chile food, Corn cake, was actually quite nice! The follwoing day we went to the funicular (train) to get to the highest point in the city, which had a statue of the virgin mary at the top. We also went on the cable cars that overlooked the gardens, these are apparently the largest gardens in any city in the world!

There are loads of stray dogs in Chile, Helen wast to keen on them, probably because she didnt have her rabies jab! :-) He had a few follow us around but they seemed friendly enough! We went to to a cafe that afternoon, we had what me and Helen thought was the best cheesecake we had ever tasted!

We went to a bar called Projera that evening we had heard that it sold a random drinkt hat was wine with ice cream in it. We went in and it was full of locals, clearly me and helen didnt look like locals so everyone turned round and looked at us! We managed to order these drinks called terromottas and befriended some local Chile guys. It was a really fun night drinking and singing songs whilst they played there guitar!

The next day we went to the wine vineyards. When we got there it was only me and Helen being shown around, it was quite nice really and we got to taste 3 of the premuim Chile wines. Me and Helen were trying our best to take the wine tasting seriously! We were surprised by how cheap the wine actually was and got a bottle for 4 pounds!

We went out for a lovely meal that evening and had really nice strawberry cocktails, the meal really didnt cost us all that much and later that evening we got our plane to New Zealand.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1012.5kb