The end of an adventure


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Providencia
March 11th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pitures to Follow......

Santiago...the capital of a country that is over 4000 km long and never more than 200 km wide, situated roughly in the middle, and in between the highest of the Andean mountains and the pacific ocean. A city we only had a couple of days to explore - so what did we do?

We visited the Presidential Palace - the place where the ex-president, Salvador Allende, was killed (the official story is he committed suicide) when the Military regime bombed the place at the start of the coup d'etat in 1973. I hoped to learn a bit more about this, but the tour was predominantly about the palace itself, and did not include a history lesson. It is a strange place - almost like a country estate, with the guards dressed up in their finest, but not armed at all, except for walki-talkies...

We also found the Plaza de Armas (main square) which was the busiest place, as it was a Sunday and most places - shops and restaurants included - were closed. We found the Visual Arts Museum, which had a great display of sculptures etc. on show. We took the metro way out
Main SquareMain SquareMain Square

Old and new Architecture....
of town to the south where there is a museum of interactive arts - sounded good in the book....was aimed at kids though in the way The Natural History museum in London is, but we had fun anyway!

We also went to the highest point in the city - Cerro Concepcion - great views from the top. We took a funicular and then a couple of teleferico's (cable cars) up and across the mount. A good place to chill out and take in the view. Was good to spend that day fairly relaxed as that evening we flew to Auckland. A 13 hour flight....taking us away from the continent which had shown us so much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Fruit for saleFruit for sale
Fruit for sale

typical POS


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb