Isla Pascua, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island » Hanga Roa
January 11th 2014
Published: January 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 10, 11 2014

Isla Pascua, Chile. Easter Island was first discovered by Europeans on an Easter Sunday. Now we know !

January 10,2014

Arrived from Santiago, Chile after lunch and had a free day to roam around this interesting place. The main town is small ( the whole island is under 6000 people ) Walked from our hotel to the center of town and on the way saw our first Moais. These are the stone statues the island is so famous for. Spent some time in town and checked out some local restaurants. Should be a very interesting 3 days here.

January 11, 2014

This morning we were met by our guide and driver on a group tour to see some of the highlights of Easter Island. Today we visited the top of the large crater formed with a volcanic eruption about 6000 years ago. Beautiful place, great view. The guide was very knowledgeable and filled us in on a lot of the local history. All of the Moais were tipped over or destroyed with the local “ in-tribe” fighting.. Anything standing has been fixed by various archaeologists over the last many years.

We visited a quarry site where the red stone “ Hats” were made that adorn some of the Moai. Took in some great views of the Island and town from the top of some of the smaller volcanic hills that are everywhere.

We also visited some more important sights including a site where seven “ warrior” Moais are standing facing the sea. All other Moais face the land.



Another busy day with lots of walking. More of the same tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb