Isla Pascua, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island » Hanga Roa
January 13th 2014
Published: January 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 12, 13, 2014

Tour today to see other sites on Easter Island. We started our day with a visit to the quarry where the Moai were all made. Very interesting place. About 400 left here in various stages of creation. The largest, not finished, is 21 meters high, about 100 tonnes, and would have been the largest ever made. Moai were moved as far as 25 KM from here to various places on the Island. There is also a kneeling Moai here. The only one in Isla Pascua.

Also visited the largest group, 15 statues, on one platform, next to the ocean. Very impressive.

Following a good lunch we drove to the north coast of the island to see the site of the last statue to be pushed over. This was in about mid 1800’s.

On the road today we saw many of the 5000 or so wild, and tame, horses on the Island. Almost as many as there are people. ( 5600 more or less )

A lot of interesting sites today and a great job by our guide, Natalia, in explaining the history.

Finished the day at a beautiful beach and a couple of final Moai sites. Beautiful place. Please – No more Moai !!

Can recommend Easter Island as a very interesting place to visit. Two days is lots of time for the tours. Some great diving here as well so for those a three day visit would be sufficient.

Take care booking hotels as some are not Air Conditioned. We stayed at The Aliplanico Hotel. Decent hotel but No A/C, great restaurant but a little too far the main town ( ½ hour brisk walk )for those who want to participate in the little action available here. ( ½ hour brisk walk ).



Monday was a free day in town to relax and wait for our late flight to Tahiti and the start of another part of the adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb