Wet and Wild


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

TangoTangoTango

Have you ever seen me danc'in, I mean really danc'in...

So long Steaks.....


Before we left Buenos Aires for the last time we thought we should invest in one final Steak dinner. We found a great restaurant near to Florida Street in the city centre, it was very touristy and our very friendly waiter even showed us his "meat". After the initial shock of the incident it only added to the experience. Once before I have been able to pick a fish from a tank before sending it to the Kitchen, actually picking the Cow is quite a revelation. So we said farewell to the BA which has been so good to us, we will miss the Tango and the Coffee and Lemon Pie....

Wet Wet Wet


....and thankfully no sign of Marty Pellow. Arriving in Iguasu Falls we transferred to our hostel which was great, unfortunately it has been taken over by the 18-25s and was far to cool for its own good. However we tried to fit in with our walking boots and fleece jackets.... and failed. So, Iguasu Falls, a great spectacle. About 80 falls along 2km's. The sun was out, the lush green vegetation and a light air full of butterflies, beautiful. As you stroll along the walkways the waterfalls reveal themselves one after another, never giving too much away at once and gradually getting better and better. We took a boat under the falls which despite the soaking we got was a tad disappointing, however made marginally more enjoyable by Rach's choice of shorts that day. The next day we transferred to the Brazilian side of the falls and I was pleased to discover that the local buses showed soft porn on TV's to keep the commuters entertained. A different view (of the falls) which looked almost better than the Argentinean side.

Rio de J'money go


Arriving to Rio in thick cloud and heavy rain was not expected. Thankfully we had a great B&B reserved and spent the afternoon with our books. The next day we visited the city centre which had some surprisingly good architecture, it was a little intimidating as it was so busy and the guide books suggest that on each corner you are likely to get mugged or pick pocketed. We headed up Sugar Loaf, then had an argument with a local taxi (which became a common theme for Rio) in order to get home without being totally swindled. The
"Your Choice of Meat Sir!""Your Choice of Meat Sir!""Your Choice of Meat Sir!"

I'll have the vegetarian option please!
night was spent in a Samba club in Lapa which was really enjoyable. Thankfully the Brazilians have good beer and great cocktails to get you oiled, then good music to help you on your way (dancing is not an option mind you as even the cross-eyed one-legged drunk slumped in the corner can bust moves that would make MC Hammer look bad). It was so expensive compared to what we had been used to but worth every penny. Getting home from Lapa that night proved a challenge as again the Taxi drivers would rather talk to their mates than actually do any work. Apparently it was too short a journey to make it worth their while. Walking was not an option as we were allegedly in the middle of Baghdad. After 30 minutes we managed to flagged a taxi down who could not understand us, and hence we took full advantage of this in order to direct him all the way home.

Finally we did the whole Christ the Redeemer thing, and also hit the beaches..... And still no sign of Barry M.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Iguasu FallsIguasu Falls
Iguasu Falls

Our first view of part of the falls
After the boat to the FallsAfter the boat to the Falls
After the boat to the Falls

(I am sure Rach will be pleased I have uploaded this photo)
The Falls (some more)The Falls (some more)
The Falls (some more)

The Devils Throat
Rio from Sugar LoafRio from Sugar Loaf
Rio from Sugar Loaf

The evening up Sugar Loaf looking out to Copacabana (no sign of Barry M)
Christ.....Christ.....
Christ.....

That is one big statue!
Rio HarbourRio Harbour
Rio Harbour

A great view out over Rio's Harbour


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb