Welcome Home


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Beaches of Brazil


From Rio we caught the bus to Paraty, and what a stunning coastline. Small little harbours with golden sandy beaches fringed by palm trees and little beachfront bars (overlooking the Nuclear power station and the oil pipeline). We stayed in a great little B&B, which was completely empty except for us, that meant long leisurely breakfasts and afternoons by the pool. Paraty is a lovely old colonial town with cobbled streets and whitewashed houses, a final chance to kick back before we come home. It was also our last chance to enjoy the local Brazillian food which has been superb. We have had some of our best South American meals in the last 10 days.

Farewell Brazil


After a few days on the beach it was back to Rio before catching our final flight home. We spent the time walking along some of the beach promenades, and enjoying drinks in the local bars. Rio is definitely a great city to visit, however it has an edge that means nothing is quiet what you expect or as straight forward as planned. A great day on the beach can easily be achieved, however to get there you either
ParatyParatyParaty

The old colonial streets of Paraty
take a Taxi that is quick but will try to fleece you on the meter or short change you, or use public transport that is much cheaper however will take about 2 hours to get 6km.

Welcome home, end of our journey


So, our 6 months come to an end and we catch our final flight back to London. It was a very strange flight as it honestly felt that we were just flying on to our next destination in our continued travels around the world, alas this time we would be staying for a little longer than just a couple of weeks.

This has been one of the best 6 months of our lives often because there was no let up in the sheer richness of what we saw and experienced. It was a journey of dazzling surprises and mind numbing extremes. Beauty and ugliness, sophistication and squalor, unceasing urban noise and serene tranquillity sometimes within minutes of each other. Much like the places we have visited, the people we have met and the food we have eaten you can find the greatest pleasure in the most unexpected place and never assume to know what is just round the corner.

Has this experience changed us? Other than needing a good scrub and still wanting to throw used toilet paper in the bin as oppose to the toilet (best not invite us round until we are house trained again) we have probably not changed at all, however only time will tell (has anyone got Swampys phone number?).

Did I mention that our plane home was redirected through Mexico......

So this is the last Blog, we look forward to seeing you all in person as opposed to by email and catching up on all that has happened whilst we have been away.

Bon Voyage......


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Copacabana BeachCopacabana Beach
Copacabana Beach

Dad, take note that the old boys here play Beach Volley Ball, not a golf club in sight!
Anyone seen Barry????Anyone seen Barry????
Anyone seen Barry????

Copacabana Beach
Booooo.....Booooo.....
Booooo.....

Back in Heathrow Terminal 5 (with our baggage to boot)


4th May 2009

Glad to hear that you got back safe and sound. You should have stopped by while you were near.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb