Cultural tour for free!


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our host at the flat had told us about an annual free event that takes place, in which they offer free bus rides in a circular loop, visiting a few culture sites in Rio. It just so happened that it was this day, so we decided to do it.

We caught a bus to downtown Rio and made a visit to the first stop on the loop, which was the World War II Memorial(Monumento Nacional aos Mortos da Segunda Guerra Mundial). When one thinks of WWII, they often think of US, Britain, France, and Germany. It was nice to see all about the Brazilian contribution to the war effort, which was actually quite large. They had military displays all around and a military band playing, so it was a really unique experience. The mausoleum below was a very somber sight.

After the monument, we walked about 15 to 20 minutes to the Catedral Metropolitana de São Sebastião. I am a huge fan of this modern architectural style, so this was a must see for me. On the way, we were also able to see the Arcos da Lapa. Sadly, the tram that runs across the arcos is being refurbished at the moment.

We spent about an hour at the cathedral and then walked back to the monument to get the free bus to the next stop. The next two stops were at a couple of downtown museums, but we skipped them, and rode the bus to Forte de Copacabana. It was noonish, so before we explored, we ate some lunch at the Confeitaria Colombo restaurant. We had some really good sandwiches, and I had a guarana soda to drink.



After lunch we explored the fort for an hour or so. There are great views of Sugarloaf and Copacabana from the fort. It was free today, but normally the entry fee is low anyways, and worth it for the views alone. Our next and final stop was at Forte do Leme. This was our favorite! As with the other fort, it was free this day, however the entry fee is low. The walk up to the top is very demanding, but oh so worth it when you see the views from up there. I think the views are as good as from Sugarloaf. I place Forte do Leme as an absolute must do if you visit Rio!!! The walk to the top took about 20 minutes and we stayed up there a good hour or more. This was a fun place to explore and admire the views. The staff were also so friendly here! Of course, the walk down is easier. When we got down, we took a bus back to Rio Sul Mall and had some dinner there, before heading back to the flat for sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb