Rio de Janeiro part two


Advertisement
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Second half of GAP trip, Le Paz to Rio

Obviously went by road!!

Finished writing this in Santiago , largest city in Chile.


Hello everyone been a while since last posting!


Forgot to add a map last blog to show the second half of GAP overland trip so added to this one, continuing from La Paz where the last map ended.
Obviously the lines are as the crow flies not as the truck drives!


From the google maps it says we have travelled around 5000 miles from start to finish but maybe actually more, also travelled many miles by plane, 4X4 and walking! Will have to tot the miles up properly some time.


Will keep adding maps as the travels progress.


Last time I left you we had finished the GAP tour and seen the sights of Rio De Janeiro.


We (Mike, Sarah and me) moved to our surf n stay hostel, pretty cool as it is a large house being used as a hostel, so has a big lounge with flat screen tv and a large garden to chill in, feels quite homely.
Has a self service bar which is cool too!


Also been using the barbecue in the garden a few times and home cooking!


Only short walk to several beaches all with good surf, been to about six different beaches in Rio now!. The hostel arrange surf lessons each day and we went for one the other day, managed to stand up few times but waves were not too big that day and once a bit tired it was harder!


Also when falling off, again and again, you manage to swallow loads of sea water which gave me a headache lol and want to save my money so may wait until in Oz before trying again.


We were sat in the garden one night and were asked if would like to be extras in a Brazilian soap (Passione) being filmed, of course we said yes!


Had to get up five in the morning and spend all morning there but we got paid 100 Brazilian reals for it and got breakfast, lunch and lifts there and back.


It was being filmed at Rio International airport and when we arrived we were given a packed brekky and then dressed up! They put me in a pinstripe suit and tie, as a business traveller!


As extras we dont get any parts as such just blurry background for the cheesy soap!
We had to stand around in the background, sometimes to cover any sign brands or we had to walk around in the background.


Was a bit boring but a new experience at the same time! Watched it on telly this week, tried to take some pictures! I found it on You Tube, not watched it all but I am on there, well for a second!lol


We walked to a nearby nature reserve one day, about 40 mins walk then a walk up the hill to a observation point, nice view! On the way passed a beach in a bay with loads of good surfers so we chilled and had a beer while watching, quite scary how close they were to each other!


We also went back into Rio centre on the bus to watch the World cup final on Copacabana beach big screen. Not as many people there as the Brazil game we went to but still a good atmosphere.


Headed back to stay in central Rio for the last week as been at surf hostel for two weeks and need a change, plus nearer the airport and other things to do as Mike and Sarah headed off to South Africa now.


The new hotel was nice (ha ha was called Rio Nice! lol), having a room to myself with double bed and ensuite with nice hot shower!


Also had a tv (portugese though!) plus a sun terrace on the roof and a splash pool! Also has a great buffet breakfast. Downside is I miss the people at the hostel plus the watching dvds and playing cards!


The hotel was smack in the central part of Rio, big for Brazilian nightlife called Lapa. Stayed here five nights and was ready to go when the time came! Dont feel safe in some parts of Rio! There are over 14 million people living in the area with at least 15% living in fervellas!


Checked out on the Saturday lunchtime bummed around until eight, taxi to airport then waited until three in the morning to check in for my six oclock flight!
To top it off was same terminal that spent eight hours being an extra!lol


This was just to Sao Paulo then connecting flight to Santiago. Thing is when i was shown where to go for connecting flight i managed to get lost and end up in the arrivals lounge! Then they would not let me in the gates had to run back for a stamp and pay departure tax!


Then legged it back and had to convince the girl in passport control to let me thru, as i no longer had an immigration card, through security and legged it to the gate, just in time!


Anyway made it to Santiago Chile, the mountains looked amazing flying in, took some pickies and amazing on the ground too. Seems a nice city, easier to blend in, nice weather and great views.


The city is surrounded by mountains, the Andes one side and the Chilean Coastal range the other, the city is mainly flat sat in the Santiago basin.


Met up with Helen from Utila Iguana volunteers, staying at same hostel in Santiago. Nice to meet up with her again, we might meet upo again in Australia. Hostel is cool too, we have fuzball table, pool table etc and i have a nice single room with central heating!


Helen and I went for a walk around the city first day, climbed lots of steps to see a small castle in the middle of the city and stopped for some lunch outside in shopping plaza. The skies are blue and it is quite warm but gets colder in the evening. Going for a proper city tour tomorrow with a guide, 4 hours walking to the sights.


Been using my spare time to plan my NZ trip using good old lonely planet. I am going to rent a combi yet, lots of choice toilet no toilet, shower, petrol diesel etc


Hopefully gonna meet up with the mum of the surf hostel owner, she offered to take me fishing on her boat! Plus trying to get in contact with old freind of Gibbo s, Emma who some of us met at the IOW festival.


Worked out my route though loop of the Northlands, down the east coast of North Island across on the ferry, down the East coast of South Island then back up west side and central, back across the ferry and up west coast of N Island back to Auckland, all in six weeks!


Reckon will do around 3500 miles in the campervan!


Looking forward to it especially as they speak english! Well sort of!
Lots to see and do, volcanoes, geezers, fishing, snorkling, walking, kayaking, caves, glowworms, blackwater rafting (underground rafting!)


So next Tuesday I will be fllying for 13 hours over water, dissapearing off the left hand side of the map and appearing on the right hand side!


Nearly hit the six month milestone an to date I have travelled South America and some of Central America , stayed with local Amazon communties, Lake Titicaca communities, looked after iguanas, seen the great wonders (natural and man made) of the South American continent and more to come!


As a last, but not least note, Nigel (Peanut) and Debbie (debs), have a great wedding day on 7th August I heard the stag do was a hoot!.


And get well soon Brandon!


Larf



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Me on the deck!Me on the deck!
Me on the deck!

Not a grimace the sun was in my eyes!


27th July 2010

awesome!
gettin itchy again to travel, just booked a short trip to new york next week and then i have to go home! reality is calling me! stay who you are and keep on doin your blog as you already do! will read the whole doofy, when i'm back home and bored! hope to see you again somewhere!
27th July 2010

HEARD FROM THE LUNATIC THIS MORNING MATE, SHE IS HOUSE SITTING FOR HER PARENTS BUT YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO GO STAY WITH HER, SHE WILL PICK YOU UP FROM THE AIRPORT IF YOU CALL HER. I SENT YOU AN EMAIL WITH HER NUMBER RATHER THAN ADVERTISE IT ON HERE FOR ANY OLD STRAY, GOOD LUCK WITH HER SHE IS A RIGHT HAND FULL BUT YOU WILL HAVE A LAUGH. GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU THE OTHER NIGHT IF ALL A BIT CRACKLEY. RIO'S BEACHES LOOK AMAZING AND EXACTLY HOW LONG AFTER THAT PICTURE OF YOU SURFING WAS TAKEN DID YOU FALL OFF!!!!!! KEEP WELL MATE AND SPEAK SOON. D SAID THAT YOU MIGHT BE GOING OVER TO SEE CHICK, WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS THERE?
28th July 2010

Off to Kiwi Land
I recommend blackwater rafting to see the glow worms but prepare yourself for freezing cold waters and extra wrinkly hands! You get a bowl of hot soup afterwards and it will taste like the best soup you ever had! Looking forward to seeing some photo's of NZ where I may even recognise the location! Great to speak the other night. Seeing Gibbo and Esme tomorrow night:) Have Fun!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb