Towards Ihla Grande


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Ilha Grande
October 17th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On our way upOn our way upOn our way up

En route to the statue of Christ by tram.
Tues 16th Oct:
Didn´t actually reach the beach yesterday afternoon - en route I saw an Irish Pub and thought I'd pop in and try a half a Guinness -- a fatal mistake! Met a few countrymen who had settled in Brazil and one half led to another; before I knew it was dark and it was time to get a bite to eat and back to the hostel. (Guinness is very expensive in Brazil)
As the hostel has only recently opened it was not full; only one other in the dorm besides me.
I planned to see the statue of Christ this morning but I also want to go to Ilha Grande - a large island off the coast. As it was tight for time I got a taxi to the base station for the tram up to the statue - great journey up, shared tram car with a class of young children on an outing; a samba group came in to the carriage and played, the children clapped, sang and really enjoyed themselves. Spectacular views from the top, though I couldn´t stay there long. (see photos).
Got a taxi to the bus station and bought ticket to get to
Local Children on Day OutLocal Children on Day OutLocal Children on Day Out

Some of the children I shared a carriage with on the way up.
the port at Angra - a 2.5 hour journey from Rio. The bus took longer than expected, so I missed the main boat; however managed to get one 2 hours later .. a smaller one with more character to it! Got there just before dark - 1 hour 40 min crossing - it looked like paradise island as we approached it. I teamed up with a Danish couple, got a pousada and then went out for a meal together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Samba EntertainmentSamba Entertainment
Samba Entertainment

A samba group keep us all entertained en route.
At The Base of the StatueAt The Base of the Statue
At The Base of the Statue

Pose time for photo at the top.
Towards Ilha GrandeTowards Ilha Grande
Towards Ilha Grande

On the boat going across to Ilha Grande.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb