That was a long 2 days!


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow..crazy road trip.

Lets start off with the bridge. They have a bridge on the way out of town. It's a one way and a train also uses it..so we had to wait in line. Not that a person could get bored! They have probably 2 dozen shacks set up selling all sorts of things. They also come up to your window and sell bags of oranges, coffee, cunapes(which are these little buns made with yucca flour and cheese). So really you don't get a moments peace.
The first town (San Ramon)we stop in is very small but filled with people. We decide to go for lunch and look for a half decent restaurant(i think there were only three in the whole town) So we order...now at these small restaurants you only usually have a choice of fried chicken or steak with fries and rice. Let me tell you i am sick of that by now. No mas pollo por favor!Sooo...after lunch we realize there is a problem with the truck. We managed to get it to a mechanic...but we were stuck there for five hours!! OMG..it stunk, and it was painfully hot. I was so happy to get out of there!

Next stop Conception. We get a hotel. It smelled like sewer and was hot and musty...but not unbearable. Went for dinner..i had steak, fries and rice. Blah..can't tell you how much i am craving regular food. It was good though.

Woke up in the morning and the power was out in the whole town which meant cold showers. I haven't had coffee in two days cause of my stomach, but i only missed out on insant nescafe. Ick!

We went and saw the star attraction of the town. The church built in the 1700's by the jesuits.Now i would be able to tell you more about this cause we went to a museum, but yes it was all in spanish, so sorry..google it.LOL. The church was amazing. I've never seen anything like it. We did get bombarded by little kids selling trinkets on the street. Very aggressive ones! If you. When they finally take no for an answer..they just plain ask for money instead of trying to sell you something.

We stopped in another town, had lunch(guess what it was!) and saw another church. My head was pounding and i still haven't kicked this cold..so i had seen enough for the day.

We made it home ok. The drive was amazing. So beautiful. Lots of tiny little shacks along the way always with strings of laundry hanging up and kids in the yard. There was acutally a tent city we passed. They had floods here a few months ago and lots of people lost their homes. Almost every house and store you pass the people are just chilling out. They are so laid back. Except for when they are driving and then they are insane!

Now, can you imagine washing all of your clothes by hand everyday? Yikes!

I had so much time to think on the drive. Too much acutally, but mostly about how much i appreciate the life, family and friends. When you see people living this way...how can we complain about such stupid things?? We have it so easy. Next time i start bitching about something..i am going to have to stop and remember this experience.

I know there is so much more i wanted to write, but my mind has gone blank. I'm happy to be back in Santa Cruz where the water isn't yellow and doesn't smell like rotten eggs.

I also am sporting quite the famers burn on one arm only. Very attractive. It goes well with all my bites.

Advertisement



19th May 2008

Wow Ang your sure having an adventure, your going to come back a changed person. We miss you tons , your boys can't wait to pick you up. Love you!
20th May 2008

Where are the PHOTO'S???
Great blog Ang,! We've really enjoyed reading your blog, It brings out your great sense of humor......................but where are the PHOTO'S???????????????????????????????
22nd May 2008

ur poor stomach
Wow, sounds like ur stomach is taking a beating, along with ur skin! I'm glad ur having a life changing experience. I'm jealous! Can't wait 2 hear more, over some delicous SUSHI and non-yellow lemon water! love u.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb