Another world


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Santa Cruz Department » Santa Cruz
February 28th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the borderCrossing the borderCrossing the border

Our trusty ride into Bolivia
Crossing the border into Bolivia was quite an experience. We were sitting in the back of a truck with our gear, driven up to the border shuffled through an office then into the backs of taxis. The contrast as soon when you cross the border is immense. The roads are different and the streets seem more chaotic and empty, less buildings and everything sems a bit shabbier.

We weren´t allowed to acknowledge our guide as we crossed the border because she is Preuvian and she would get hassled if they knew she with us so that was a bit of excitement for us all. One guide got stopped at the border and sent back because he didn´t have all the paperwork , so a GAP group was heading into the Pantanal without a leader.

Anyhow we got dropped off at the train station to await our night train to Santa Cruz. We caught the Death train which in the end was quite boring only having two carriages and mean waitresses who would only serve softdrink not water! We were expecting a lot more but the ride was quite comfortable even though it was cold. Breakfast consisted of a rock like thing that was left once bitten on every passenger´s plate.

After we caught a taxi to our hotel which was a welcome sight. Everyone immediately put in laundry because we all had stinky deet filled clothes from the Pantanal. Then we went for a wander around the town. Luckliy Santa Cruz was full of camera stores so we could go and get our memory card fixed...again! We found a great guy that spoke English who helped us.

We ate toast and sandwiches at this great little cafe and generally just wandered. Bolivia is cheap! Yeah! Everyone was quite happy with the change in price after Brasil.

That night we had dinner at an Argentinian restaurant (strange huh) and then went back after not finding any Karaoke bars and being stuffed after the overnight journey. Some people had icecreams and cakes but I wasn´t feeling great so I didn´t partake in dessert (now you know I must have been really sick!). The pantanal did me in a little and my start to Bolivia wasn´t so great in that respect.

Dan


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Long nightLong night
Long night

After the night on the death train


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb