The White City


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Chuquisaca Department » Sucre
February 28th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SucreSucreSucre

On the way to the Dino park
We took a plane to Sucre with AeroSul. It was quite a short flight yet they gave us drinks and a little package of food, so nice.

After we arrived at our very luxurious hotel we took the dino bus (unfortunately the non painted unofficial one) out to the famous dino prints. The view as we drove through the city was spectacular and the hustle and bustle of this city was pleasant rather than chaotic.

There wasn´t really a lot to the dino prints and they were quite far away from us so you had to look through binoculars to see them. They were interesting and the tour we received prior to the prints was great. There are replicas all around the park of the different dinosaur prints that they found there as well. The prints were a little disappointing but the view of the city was worth the entrance fee and the guide was friendly and informative.

After that we had dinner at the Joy Ridebar. It was very western, great safe and reliable. We tried again to go out afterwards and ended up in the seediest bar I have ever seen in my life. Myself, Ben,
Not a postcardNot a postcardNot a postcard

There are dino footprints on that wall.
Geraldine, Anna, Sofia and Ed (the two new English arrivals) could sense danger as the smell of urine and fake plastic flowers welcomed us. We still entered determined to have a Salsa dance. I am sure that if you had a purple light you would find all sorts of bodily fluids in that rabbit warren. In vain hope that things would improve we asked for some salsa music and got some drinks. Ben and I did a salsa demo for everyone and had a great time doing so.

After we finished a dance we went back to the hotel, lamenting once again our bad luck when it comes to dance clubs. NB: The club we wanted to go to was closed so we went to this other one on recommendation.

Day 2 Sucre

Day two proved to be one of illness with both Ben and Ed feeling rather poorly after what they think was a suspect beer. In the morning we had a Spanish lesson with the sister of one of the hotel managers. Her name was Roxanne and she had the most amazing eye makeup. It is quite common in Bolivia for the women in cities
SquishedSquishedSquished

Scary dino models
to do the whole eyeliner cat eye kind of thing. The lesson was great fun but a tad overwhelming.

Afterwards we had some lunch and went to explore the Casa de la Libertad. We were given a tour as part of ticket price here and it was really interesting. You could see how much land Bolivia has lost of the years and the different people who fought for Bolivia´s independence. A female general played a huge part but I can´t remember her name.

The fountain was the restaurant of choice that night and a comedy of errors ensued. Our waiter who we named Manuel firstly couldn’t get our drink orders right and exploded agua con gas all over someone. It took him three goes to get the drinks right so we decided it would be safer if Geraldine took the orders and gave it to them. We were in the hugest room with big chandeliers (perfect for a wedding ceremony).

The meals arrived after quite a time and mine was absolutely beautiful but due to illness many of the group members started to depart dropping like flies one after the other. After a meal we went back to the Joyride bar for drinks and dancing (just a little). A nice end to the evening and Sucre tomorrow we left for Potosi.



Advertisement



14th March 2007

Happy Birthday
I know, it's on the 11th but why break the tradition now after so many years! Cause it is the 14th here so HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!! lol

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb