Night terrors in Potosí


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » Potosí Department » Potosi
April 12th 2009
Published: April 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Potosí on Good Friday after a relatively short bus ride to be confronted by a rather large hill. Wandering up it we managed to find our way to our chosen accomodation (Hostal La Casona, stay there, the showers are choice!) just in time to avoid the afternoon rain shower.

First stop: La Plata for a beer. We tried the local Pilsner. Caitlin was convinced they´d thrown in some mine dust to make it authentic. A little disappointed we headed to La Casona (not affiliated with the hostel) and some how ended up with a rather large jug of Caipirinha 😊 And some tasty felafel. And then we headed back to our hostel for a good night´s sleep. Or so we thought.

A group of 5 descended onto our dorm just as we´d lay down. Then they went out the door (oh yeah, it made horse noises and you had to kick it to get it to open). Then they came in the door. Then they turned on the light. Then they talked. a lot. Then they went out the door. Then they came in the door. Then they went out the door. We turned off the light. An hour or so later they came in the door. Then they went out the door. Then they talked. a lot. You get the picture. Sleep did not come easily.

On Saturday we were up bright and early for our mine tour. Unfortunately with it being Easter there were hardly any miners in the mine, but we did get to buy dynamite and dress up in the awfully sexy clothing and crawl around in the mud and dust for a few hours. It was horrible down there. Dark, cold, hot, dusty, lonely, damp, dank.... not my kinda place. Not helped by our crazy guide who seemed to be obsessed with sex, telling us lots of storied about how he wasn´t gay, and all but suggesting that the group participate in an orgy in front of a devil effigy down in the depths. I was glad to get out, and back to the hostel´s wicked showers.

Evening number two was spent at Bar 4060 (the number of metres above sea level that Potosí sits at) with some pretty good burritos, a delicious piña colada and the sounds of Shakira.

Night number two at the hostel.... even better than the first.. Our lovely friends from the previous returned. First just two of them who went at it for an hour or so, despite Caitlin´s urging them to find somewhere else to moan and groan, and then the rest joined them for much hilarity and door opening/closing and light on-ning before Caitlin finally got up, closed the door, turned off the light, and some of us got a little sleep.

Potosí was actually suprisingly ok, despite the poor sleep. Best showers of the trip and some tasty eats too. Met some cool people who we were to continue to bump into over the next few days. But for us the next hurdle was the so called ´bus from hell´over the sands to Uyuni on the edge of the Salt Plain......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb