Lack of communication...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Yungas Road
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So there has been a dearth of communication.....the main reason being that Teresa fell on Death Road and had to be flown home, that was after five days of hospital in Coroico and hiding the fact that anything was wrong from the duine in Ireland. So between pretending that nothing was wrong on gmail chat, when people "jokingly" asked if we had killed her, impersonating her on gmail chat (that thing should be banned, totally invasive!), ringing the insurance dickheads and trekking back up that bleeding road to Coroico to see Teresa in hospital, there was not much time to be doing anything culturally orientated. Excepting drinking and eating in Ollie's every day. So even when Teresa, completely famous now to all backpackers, got back to Ireland it seemed rude to leave La Paz and our general easy way of life. Mind you, we experienced severe thunderstorms in La Paz which kept us in the pub the one evening we wanted to leave early (how sad!), The Small Present Festival in which many people were presented with a cock - the male equivalent of a hen, the idea being that what you get as a small present you will have in abundance for the following year - and many bars of chocolate were being handed out between us. Teresa did request a miniature leg but unfortunately even in La Paz it was not to be found. And believe me you can find anything in La Paz....there is a street dedicated solely to light bulbs....and that is not the most bizarre thing you will find!

There was also mad rioting going on in the city, which of course brought everything to a standstill, including the phones running out of international "credit" whatever that means! However, we were well protected from any scenes of violence from our seats in the pub!

For our last few days we moved in with the lads in Loki, which as building sites go is extremely nice and highly entertaining. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the man who liked to sleep in the wheelbarrow on his lunch break, which according to the lads was because his lunch break was the only time he could sleep in public, otherwise they kept catching him in the rooms asleep. Because the second and third floors have a view right down to the first floor you literally get a birds eye view of the hostel from above. Dror starts explaining that the man sitting behind a desk in one of the rooms on the second floor is the supervisor but all he does is smoke, and right on cue he strolls out....fag in mouth and stands over the balcony looking down at the same sight as us. The sight in question is one man shoveling a pile of rocks from one side of the floor to the other, considering that said rocks will be needed on the original side the reason is unclear. A bit of shouting (the lads main reason for being there) seems to be in order so Dror rocks down to ask the supervisor what the man is doing and having looked at the same sight as us for the last five minutes his reply is "Oh yea, that doesn't make sense, I'll see what he is doing". As it turns out what he is doing is "cleaning". If you spend any time in Bolivia, your attitude to most events like this is - Bolivia. Inexpiable events and responses just have to be accepted as normal.

We eventually got our flights to Colombia sorted, which involved us turning up in the office on the 1st and them telling us we could fly on the 2nd. Did we mention we were in La Paz and the flights were from Lima? We just had to look at them and ask did they think this was helpful? Then after telling us to wait in La Paz while they sent this that and the other to head office, they told us the best thing to do is for us to go to Lima airport and try get the flight on stand by........as I said, Bolivia!


Advertisement



4th February 2007

goooo kaz!
well done on your impersonations of teresa. you had me fooled!
6th February 2007

Feckin Hell
You really know how to do things, what exactly happened Teresa? is she ok now that she's back home? where to next for you and most importantly when are you coming home????

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb