The one with the Curry & Creme Eggs


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
April 6th 2009
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Copacabana we headed for La Paz. As we wound our way away from the lake... well actually we didn´t as it appears to be everywhere. Eventually we arrived at the lakeshore again only to be herded off our bus onto a small ferry whilst the bus bobbed across on a barge... only in Bolivia.

Once in La Paz we were mesmerized by the size of the place, and the smell of the markets as our hungry bellies rumbled. It had been many an hour since our lunch in Copacabana. Unfortunately all of our hostel choices were full and so we trundled about eagerly searching for a place until one was found, complete with resident pigeons and a pair of wellies on the windowsill.

And so our tummies dragged us out into the night where we jostled for places at roadside stands with little old ladies laden with colourful bundles. The menu included a chorizo-like sandwich hot off the grill, some deep fried bread, pastries out of turn but equally delicious, and a bowl of meat and taters. To top it all off we had some chocolate dipped rainbow coloured marshmallows under the lights of the Iglesia San Francisco as punters sold palm fronds in honour of Palm Sunday all around. The highlight of the evening was a tie: between the amazing strawberry milkshake and the find of the trip, orange cadbury creme eggs!

Day two dawned a little later, and with a cold shower under our belts we set off up the road to book our bus tickets to Cochabamba. We also tried salteñas, the local speciality. Mmmmm 😊

Next up was the witches market. Really just a bunch of tourist shops with the old little old lady acting up and selling crazy stuff. Like dried llama foetuses and all sorts of herbs and potions. Next.

We took a break in a tree lined plaza, only for Caitlin to be deposited on by a pigeon. Not surprisingly as the place was crawling with them... eew.

We then happened upon Cafe Angelo Colonial where I had a most luxurious cafe helado.. complete with strawberry icecream, whipped cream, chocolate flakes and a cherry. Ahhh decadence.

After a wee break it was off to The Star of India, the British curry house famous throughout Latin America. Not one to back down from a culinary challenge I ordered the Vindaloo, pitched as the Latin America´s hottest and highest curry. It is made with 28 of Bolivia´s special ´silly hot´chillies and damn they weren´t kidding. Unfortunately for me, I had already filled up on the delicious cafe helado above and was defeated by the sheer size of the dish. And so I did not walk away with a survivor´s tshirt, just a slightly warm mouth and rather full belly.

And so we left La Paz, on a bus trip that should have passed by quickly, yet seemed to take forever...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb