The one with the Cake & Icecream


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Checking into our hostel in Cochabamba we barely had time to take off our packs before we were off out the door in search of icecream. We had read of an icecream parlour named Dumbo and made a beeline for it. Feeling we should have dinner before desert this time we stopped at a roadside vendor for a burger and fries. And Caitlin added what she thought was guacamole, oops!

Upon finding Dumbo we found a lot more than we had bargained for: a series of icecream and cake parlours in a row, all begging to fill our tummies. We started with Dumbo: dulce de leche & snickers flavour for me, oh yeah!

Day 2, breakfast: Cristal for chocolate cake & a strawberry and yoghurt shake (fruit = healthy). Then we got a dose of culture at the Archeological museum - lots of cool pottery, fabrics and mummies! Mummies in jars and mummies in baskets. They like them like that over here.

We headed for the central market for lunch, and tried Chairo, a kind of mutton & veg stew. It was a bit watery but otherwise alright. Then, vowing to get a bit of walking in to work off that cake, we set off in search of a plaza on the map. Unfortunately we ran into JuiceZen, which didnĀ“t really serve juice... just lots and lots of icecream. So we ordered the caramel crunch: Dulce de leche icecream, all mashed up with snickers pieces and strawberries and covered in chocolate sauce. I think it won the best yet prize!

We did make it to the plaza, but it rained so we took a break. Then we walked out to the North-Eastern edge of the city to the Big Giant Jesus on the hill. Once there we were good little girlies (read, too full of icecream) and so did not climb the stairs and get mugged, but rather took the leisurely option and hit the cable car. The views from the top were awesome, well worth it and it was a nice rest for our bellies. Apparently Jesus here is just a weency bit higher than the one in Rio.....

And so we stumbled back to the bus station. Via the markets for some pique for dinner of course (thats a whole bunch of greasy meat on top of fries, oooh yummy!). Unfortunately our smarts ran out along with seats to Sucre, so with some very expensive tickets we boarded the last bus out of Cochabamba. But that is a whole different story........



Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb