The warmest spot north of Havana? Not Likely...


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Cusco we climbed up and up and up until we crossed the border (one small incident with a money changer) and entered Bolivia. A night in Copacabana was chilly, but a lovely view of sunset over Lake Titicaca over a bottle of La Paz Pilsener was our reward for the journey.

A sunny Saturday presented itself and off we set along the lakeshore, between villages, beside fishermen, through forests, up and down hills until a little old man named Javier offered to take us across the lake in his wee boat to the Isla del Sol.

We had a slight altercation when he tried to pull a swifty on us ( I can eavesdrop in Spanish, yes!) and then we were deposited at the far end of the island, a tower of rocks above us. But we clambered up and wandered our way across the island to the village of Yamuni where we were to spend a very relaxing night at Hosteria Las Islas. They do a mean trout.

There isnĀ“t really much to say about the lake except that it is huge, blue and everywhere. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and to get to La Paz they put your boat on a barge and shunt it across. Classic.

Next chapter: smoke, smog & curry in the Bolivian capital

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb