La Paz, Copacabana and Isla del Sol


Advertisement
Published: September 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

30/7/2013: We spent the first part of the day relaxing in Rurrenabaque before catching our flight back to La Paz. Arrived early in the evening and found Hostal Solario for 20 bolivianos per night.
Really cheap and an okay place - no luxury though. We went out for Thai food, really good food but it took a long time before it came. Then we met up with our friend from Valparaiso and her two friends who were travelling the opposite way.

31/7/2013: Got up at 11 feeling a little sick.. Spent all day relaxing with Maren who I studied with in Chile and her two friends from back home.
We went to Cafe del Mundo which became our favourite spot in La Paz - and later we went shopping and for a walk downtown. We had lunch, a choripan which was really different from Chilean ones, it was more like a burger, but really good.
Then we walked a little further and had some wine before going back and getting ready for dinner where the rest of the Danish girls joined us - they had been on a death road biking trip.
We went to Sabor Cubano and had some delicious Cuban food.
1/8-2013: Got up at 8 and had another delicious breakfast at Cafe del Mundo. Then we went for a walk around the tourist area, the market and a little downtown. We ended up sitting at plaza San Fransisco which was a really nice spot for enjoying the sun and the last hours in La Paz. After that we took the bus up to Copacabana. I slept almost until we reached Lake Titicaca where we had to leave the bus and take a boat and the bus crossed with its own "boat". The lake is the largest lake in South America and the highest navigable body of water in the world.
The rest of the drive was really beautiful in the mountains. When we arrived in Copacabana we found a luxury room for 45 bolivianos with seaview and a private bath.
We went for dinner at a small restaurant, okay prices but boring and cold food. Had some wine and when we came back to the hotel. Here the power went out so we decided to do a "santa lucia" parade - which I am wondering if is only a Danish tradition since everyone was staring like we were crazy. Which we are. I spent all night trying to make some videos from the trip and went to bed early.

2/8/2013: We got up at 8 and I had my best shower in a long time. Then we had a nice breakfast with fresh fruit and I went back to pack my things and discover that nothing had charged because the power went out again. We went to book our boat tickets for Isla del Sol in the afternoon and the bus ticket for Cusco the next day. Then Kirstine and I decided to take a walk around town and found the town square and a big curch or chapel (unexpected for such a small city). It was a very cute city with a very special atmosphere.
All over town people were pimping up their cars to celebrate a local holiday, something with the virgin of Copacabana and they preparing a big parade - the church was full too and people went far up the mountain to visit a statue. Later we had lunch at a cafe in the sun and it was so nice and warm, we shared a really nice pizza with lots of garlic and the street dogs had the leftovers as ususal.
Then we went to catch the boat, sat on top with a really nice view all the way. We arrived at the small island - beautiful clear water and green hills was awaiting us. In the horizon we could see the Andes mountains covered in clouds. Found a nice small hostel for 35 bolivianos and went to lie in the sun for a while. Later we went for dinner, not much to choose between so we all ended up eating frozen pizza. To our surprise there was wi-fi, didn't think there would be internet at all on this little island. Later we went to the rooms to chill and early to bed.

D. 3/8/2013: Got up early to eat breakfast and start trekking from the south to the north of the island. The trek was hard but really beautiful, we saw a lot of farmers with their donkies, sheep etc. on the way and halfway we found a small shop where we could rest and get some chocolate and water which helped a little. The island also has a very special atmosphere to it that is unexplainable - it seems there is a certain mysterious touch to every place we visit on our way. Then we trekked the rest of the way - when we could see the city and the gravel road leading us around two more hills before reaching the destination, we decided to make the trek a little more ecxiting and make a shortcut down the hill. It made it both more fun and faster.
When we arrived we ordered lunch but it took them over an hour to prepare the food so when we got it we had to leave for the boat and got it "to go" in plastic bags. Gave us a bit of attention on the boat. Then we arrived in Copacabana around 4, had some lunch and sandwiches to go before we caught the bus to Cusco.
After 10 mins we had to cross the border to Peru and walked over it from the Bolivian side. There always something strange about crossing a border by foot. Then we went back on the bus, ate our sandwiches and slept an hour until arriving in Puno where we had to change bus. Slept all the way to Cusco from there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb