Is It A Bit Sunny It Must Be Isla Del Sol


Advertisement
Published: April 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So i awoke at 7.30 am for the boat over to the Isla Del Sol or island of the sun and an important place in Inca myth as the birth place of the sun. so you get what you pay for and so the was no water in the shower this morning and so i fresened up as much as i could.

I grabbed the usual stuff like camer and sun block etc and headed out to get some breakie and the place i went to was so slow and i had to get my own cutterly as the server did not bring it over, i had musli with my breakkie today and its nothing like back home, its wheat puffs and so unidentifiable fruit and the worst milk i have ever tasted, i manged to get the boat on time and i sat up top and it was freezing on the way over.

I chatted to a candian couple and their friends a candian guy and his american girlfriend who are missonarys and have lived in Boliva for 7 years and so it was cool to chat to some folk and the were great views and we saw massive snowcapped mountian ranges and i saw the isla del luna and it didnt look like much and i had decided not to visit it as it was 5 times the cost to get there as the isla del sol and less to see there and it was complicated to get there, i was also going to see the reed islands at puno in peru, but the place is a hole and everyone i have spoken to says give puno a wide berth.

Two hours later we arrived at the north of the island and i met an english guy ian from the boat and he was an accountant and got bored of 40 years of it and decided to jack it in and travel south america for 6 months, so first we had to pay 10 bolivanos for a ticket for the museum and the ruins, the musuem took all of 10 seconds and it was 45 mins to the ruins and they werent much, but i suppose tikal and the likes have spoiled me, the was a guide at the port when we got there but he charged 10 bolivanos and only spoke spanish and so we left him for the other tourists. so the ruins were not much but the views of the lake were amazing and i had water and bananas and some other snacks for the walk and on the way we met a cool aussie girl and a bolivan guy who now lives in london,the hike to the south of the island was pretty and breath taking as the lake is 3800 above sea level and then had hills to that...lol.

On the way kids were begging for money and locals were trying to get us to buy stuff. we got to the other end and the were so many hostels and well its getting really touristy. The trek was good and id recommend it, however the ruins were not much cop, me ian and the aussie girl sunbathed for a while waiting on the boat and then we boarded and headed back and chatted some more and then parted ways at the harbour and i found out ian was leaving for cusco on sunday and so i tryed to get the same bus as him, so we both have some company, he couldnt remeber the bus company so its pot luck and then i caught a cool sunrise and managed to get water for a shower and put some clothes into wash so im not a complete crusty traveler and then i changed some more soles so i have some cash as i was running low and i then grabbed a veggie burger,fries and coke at a nice little place and so thats late lunch and i then went to a nice pizza place and had a a massive pizza and a large beer for dinner and i had a snickers bar, but none of my cravings hit the spot. On the way back i met the French Candian girl Rene and we chatted and she added me to facebook and then i headed off to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb