Copacobana - Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
November 7th 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Copacobana mid morning, booked into a lovely hostel (hotel) with the most beautiful view of Lake Titicaca. We may be quite stupid as we knew it was big but we didnt realise how big it was - 230km long and 97km wide. If you see the photos when we put them on it will just look like the ocean.

There isnt much to do in Copacobana apart from sit around Lake Titicaca so thats what we did. It is a very small town so we ran into Wale (fenchy) within about an hour of being there. We were just chilling out in the sun then Wale bumped into his dorm room mates. They decided that the lake looked so beautiful that they wanted to go for a swim. We thought this would be entertaining as we knew it was freezing. It was, they lasted about 2 seconds.

We watched the sun as it was setting and then went upstairs for a quick nap with my snooze pillow of course.

Met up with Wale, Lenka and yan and the new people for dinner. (NEW people - shaun, american - 2 germans and a switz guy, tim).

It was a beautiful dinner (trout straight from the lake apparently) the only problem was we were ready to eat each other by the time it came out. Im not sure if I have mentioned this before but so far we havent found any country in south america which has quick, efficient and a general good standard of service. Other than this we had a really good night.

We decided to go to the Isla del sol (in the middle of lake titicaca) at 8.15 in the morning. We all met up and got a slow boat. Took two hours to get to the north of the island and it was absolutely freezing. Dont be fooled by the beautiful weather on the mainland is my advice.

When we got there we had to walk from the north of the island to the south where the hostels and restaurants were. It was really warm by this point but the walk was a doddle compared to the trek we did so we see ourselves as the experts now. The walk took about 4 or 5 hours because we walked further north first and then backtracked. Anyone would think we enjoyed making our lives difficult or something.

We found a hostel and we all paid roughly $1 a night and it was an even better view than we had in copacobana. Copacobana was very touristy and was more like a port. Where we stayed was so peaceful and didnt have too many tourists.

We went for dinner and wine and watched the most amazing sunset. Not sure if our photos do it justice but trust that it was beautiful.

The next morning we left the island and got a fast boat back which was much warmer and an enjoyable, relaxing boat trip.

Once we arrived in Copacobana we all decided there wasnt much point in sticking around as there wasnt much more to do so Nik and I booked a bus to La Paz. Wale, Lenka and Yan came too.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb