Monkeying around / Monadas y Monerias


Advertisement
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cochabamba


Firstly, I think we should apologise to those of you who are still with us and haven’t given up hope that we would eventually add another entry to our blog. We are now a long, long way behind in our journals, if you look at the date at the top of this page, then you’ll see that we are now running about 5 months behind where we actually are. If you’re wondering where we really are now, then you might be interested to know that we’re writing this from a hotel room in the good old U.S. of A. We hope that we can now start to make some progress on catching up on the blog, as we have recently bought a laptop (thanks mum & dad for helping get it to us). There are many reasons for us wanting a laptop, not just that we are massively behind on the blog, or because of Mark’s well known love of gadgets, since we’ve arrived in the US it’s been almost impossible to back up our photos, or stay in touch via email. But anyway, let’s get on with THIS story…

Arriving at the bus station in Santa Cruz, we saw a bus that was head to Cochabamba and asked the driver how much it would be to get there. After a brief pause, and after looking at us up and down (in other words, checking out how rich we looked), he charged us what seemed like a reasonable fee (30 Bolivianos) and disappeared to the ticket office. He came back a few minutes later with 2 tickets which clearly showed the price to be 20 Bolivianos. When Maria queried about the price difference, he sighed irritably and disappeared for a couple minutes. He came back with the same tickets, but with “his price” written over the old “real price”. We thought this all smelt a bit fishy, so we paid a visit to the ticket office and grassed him up, thus getting a refund on the extra money we’d paid. Needless to say, when we got on the bus the driver looked very unhappy; if looks could kill we would’ve died on that coach journey. This kind of thing is far from unusual in Bolivia.

As we were about to enter a yellow fever area, we were told we would be asked for our vaccination certificates. The locals were getting shots from a make-shift stand by the coach parking bays; luckily we got ours in England before we set off, so didn't need to make use of the local services, provided by an unhygienic looking individual, running his enterprise from what looked like a wobbly old picnic table. And sure enough, the officials who were supposed to demand the certificates never materialised.

After a long and fairly tortuous journey, and with an hour and a half still to go, one of the passengers stood up and parked himself up in the middle of the bus. In true preacher style, he announced to the captive (not to be confused with captivated) congregation that he would be talking to us about a wonderful product that apparently cannot be bought in the shops. He then proceeded to talk, in great detail and hardly stopping for breath, for the remainder of the journey (yes, a whole hour and a half). Giving a speech that seemed befitting of a medical student’s PhD dissertation, he went on and on about how the human body needs to be cleansed of various impurities... blah blah blah; and what was the amazing product he was selling??? Laxative
Cochabamba: Cristo de la ConcordiaCochabamba: Cristo de la ConcordiaCochabamba: Cristo de la Concordia

Said to be the biggest statue in the world - built in 1994, they made it 4.2 metres (13 ft) taller than Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro ********* Al parecer la estatua más grande del mundo - levantada en 1994, la hicieron 4.2 metros más alta que la de Cristo Redentor en Rio de Janeiro
sachets!!! It's at times like these that Maria didn't find speaking the lingo an advantage at all, and was immensely grateful for the invention of the personal stereo. We have to say our mp3 players repeatedly saved us from brain damage whilst travelling through Bolivia. The local music is easily the worst we have encountered in the whole of our trip so far and what’s worse, the bus drivers insist on playing their music so loud that it is clearly audible even when wearing headphones.

Once in Cochabamba, we got the impression it was not a particularly friendly place. We didn't find many tourists there at all, and somehow we didn't feel all that welcome either. Perhaps it was the graffiti on a wall on the way to the tourist office that read (in English), "Tourists Go Home". Still, we found ourselves a nice hotel and stayed for a couple of nights.

The one thing Cochabamba did have was a nice collection of ice-cream and cake establishments and a lovely restaurant serving yummy Japanese food. So we didn't go hungry here either. Another thing you find in Cochabamba is a huge statue of Christ overlooking the city on top of a hill. It is very similar to the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio, although the location is in no way as spectacular. However, having been built at a slightly later date, they made sure it was slightly taller - see picture for more details.

On our way back from the statue we came across a bit of a shocking view - shocking for us animal and hygiene lovers: a dead dog someone had just unceremoniously thrown out with the rubbish, just lying on its side, right there next to the rubbish containers! At first we thought no, it can't be true, it must be a stuffed toy, but its legs were actually stiff from rigor mortis and definitely not made out of wood. Then again we don't know why it surprised us, people here have very little general education, so environmental education is an alien concept to them; you just need to take a look out of the window on any bus journey and the countryside near the towns is a real tip. People in the buses buy food from the town’s “shops” (normally women and children with large baskets on their heads, selling the local version of Chicken Dysentery) and then later on, a few miles down the road people just chuck the meal wrappers/leftovers right out of the windows creating a long, thin garbage disposal site along the side of the road. A real shame because the scenery is truly incredible. They also urinate everywhere, the times we've crossed the street to avoid a guy from splashing us! Nice! And we’re talking young, educated-looking men in some cases). If only the government put some effort into educating people on these issues, but we guess they have greater priorities to deal with.

Another sad side to Cochabamba is that the city also has the highest concentration of beggars we've seen anywhere. The most upsetting image we saw was a young girl with a baby sitting on the floor, it looked like they were selling sweets or something, and the baby, who must have been hardly a year old, was on all fours trying to stand up, and she looked so cute wobbling about with her bottom sticking up whilst she propped herself up with her two little hands. She finally managed to stand up straight as we reached them, and as she looked up and saw us, she immediately put her hand out in a begging gesture. It both broke our hearts and turned our stomachs. How can someone teach a baby to beg before they can even talk??

Surely many people are desperate and need to get money in any way they can, but we have heard a few horror stories about people using children to beg because people react better to them than adults. One guy actually told us about his auntie, who offered a single mother a place to stay, food and 500 bolivianos in exchange for cleaning and generally looking after her house, and she refused because she said she made double that money begging! So as the guy said, although many people sadly don't have a choice, others do but choose the "easy" option. He even told us not to "go soft" if we saw a woman begging with a few children, as the chances are she's borrowed them from another family member, or from the neighbour! The sad thing is to think that with their attitude they are sentencing their children to a life of begging too, these poor kids stand very little chance of a better future. Naturally it's not always the case and you can never judge, it is a difficult issue, and it's hard to turn a blind eye when you see it around you every day, you'd like to help everyone but you can't, it really breaks your heart at times.

But anyway, we don't want to get everyone sad, so let's talk about something else...

From Cochabamba we took a guide to take us to a forest and a couple of other places over two nights. We’ve used a guides many times before to show us around areas we’re not familiar with, they often give you background information about the place you’re seeing, or take you places you wouldn’t have found on your own. The guide was fairly cheap to hire, but during the course of the two-day trip it soon became apparent that’d we’d made a mistake this time and it ended up feeling like we were actually taking him on a paid holiday. From turning up half an hour late on the 1st day and taking us on a bus we could’ve found ourselves, to enjoying a dip in a swimming pool long after we’d got bored, it was difficult to tell who enjoyed the short vacation more. Basically we expected him to do some guiding and explaining, but all he did was Maria's job in terms of finding out how to get places and handling the budget.

The first place we visited was a zip wire course known as La Jungla. Set in the middle of the jungle (funnily enough), apparently the guy who owns it just built a swing for his own kids, and later realised this could appeal to bigger kids, so then went and built bigger and bigger swings. Maria tried the first three, but as they got higher and higher and the ladders to climb to the platforms in the trees got steeper and more precarious, she decided to stick to the firm ground like glue and try taking some pictures of Mark instead. Not an easy task, low light and speed don't go together well unless you have a brilliant camera, and ours is somewhat limited for this. The best she could do was to take a film of Mark swinging from an 18 m / 60 ft tall tree platform, which you can view HERE

The next day we visited Carrasco National Park, we thought our guide was going to take us round himself but apparently once there we HAD to take one of park's guides, whereas our guide seemed to know little more than we did. We couldn't complain to the agency later because by the time we arrived back in Cochabamba it was Saturday evening and they were shut until Monday, by which time we'd be gone. So a piece of advice for anyone in the area - don't get fooled into paying a guide to take you anywhere unless you are 150% certain you can't go there by public transport yourself!

Anyway, this park was home to some interesting animals like the bespectacled bear and big cats, however all the fauna we saw were some caterpillars on a branch, a frog and a few fire ants - so it just became a nice walk in a forest.

But anyway, you’re going to start thinking we’re not enjoying ourselves anymore with all this whinging! We did still enjoy it still, only we thought we’d talk about both sides of the coin for a change, as it’s all part of the experience.

The one thing that made the whole trip more than worthwhile was the fantastic visit to Inti Wara Yassi. These are quechua, aymara and Guarani (indigenous languages) words respectively, meaning Sun, Star and Moon. Inti Wara Yassi is a Wildlife Sanctuary - they look after animals which have mainly been rescued from homes where they were being kept as pets and were not being looked after properly. The main attraction are the Capuchin monkeys, which are the ones the general public gets to see, but they also have big cats, birds, tortoises, and an array of other animals. In some cases they are able to release them into the wild, but this is not always the case as sometimes the animals are so used to human contact that they would not be able to survive on their own, or could potentially be dangerous as they would have no fear of humans in the wild. We were told the monkeys were in fact free to leave if they wanted to, as there are no fences to keep them in the sanctuary, but they enjoy the human contact and the food they’re given so they don’t wander off too far.

The place is run mainly by volunteers who come from all over the globe and stay for weeks, sometimes even months. We considered staying for a bit but we were really behind schedule at that point, and the other reason is that the place is plagued with all sorts of biting insects which drive all the volunteers crazy. As you are in very close contact with the animals (they’ll even lick you), you are not allowed to use repellent so the little buggers just eat you alive. Despite this, the volunteers seem to love the experience so for anyone reading this who is thinking of spending some time there please don't be put off by this! Take a look at their website instead... Inti Wara Yassi

If you're not a volunteer, but simply passing by, you are normally only allowed to see the birds (which are kept in cages), and the capuchin monkeys, who run loose and invariably amok amongst the visitors, searching every pocket and hole for hidden treasures and running away with anything they can find. They warn you about this at the entrance and provide you with lockers to keep your stuff in, however some visitors still manage to lose their keys, cameras, passports and other valuables to the persistent monkeys (imagine calling the embassy… "Hello? Uhm… yes, I need a new passport please… what happened to the old one? Well… erm… you’re not going to believe this, but a monkey stole it… honest…"). Some of them had actually been trained to pick pockets in the streets, so they are extremely nimble-fingered. So much so that one of them managed to find TWO hidden pockets in Mark's shirt that he never knew he had, even after owning it for over 6 months!

Another one had run away with a volunteer’s camera shortly before we arrived. Apparently, it was her last day there, so she’d put it in a bolted shut shed, inside its case and hidden under some rope, but still one of the monkeys managed to unbolt the door, and after rummaging through the rope, found the camera, ran up a tree with it, chucked away the case, opened the lid, chucked away the batteries, found and threw away the memory card, and, when it got bored with it, the camera itself from the top of the tree (Wheee! Clonk). They did found the camera somewhat battered, but the memory card, with her last few weeks' worth of memories in it, were gone forever. This made us realise that we'd rather lose our passports than the photos we’ve taken, at least a passport can be replaced, even if they might laugh at you at the embassy.

We were there for ages listening to these stories and enjoying the monkeys' games and cheekiness. It was really funny to see them excitedly turning their attention to any new person arriving and not wasting a second to go through all their pockets and trying to steal anything they could grab. Maria actually took even her earrings off before entering the park, but when she got out a tissue to blow her nose, little baby Wendy was quick as a shot and decided she wanted to take a closer look at that! It took some time to pry her little fingers open and recover the tissue (which could be harmful to her, they are like children and put everything in their mouths!), she wasn't happy at all, just take a look at the picture below!

We had the chance to chat briefly to Juan Carlos and Nena, the founders of the place. Very lucky for us, as Maria mentioned she had heard about the place through her ex-colleague Dave, who had volunteered for about 8 months a couple of years ago, and it was like saying a magic word! Juan Carlos then asked one of the long-term volunteers to take us to see the spider monkeys, in an area closed to the general public, and indicated us the way to find the resident puma!

We couldn't spend as much time with the spider monkeys as we did with the capuchins, but it was still a lovely experience, they came out of the trees as soon as they saw us for a closer look and it was great. Their arms and legs are so long, and the use their tails as a fifth limb so they give you the nicest cuddles. Maria had two babies climbing into her arms whilst Mark caught the eye of one of the females who seemed to take quite a liking to him! They really are gorgeous animals, not as mischievous as the capuchins and not as intelligent so not quite as entertaining, but they seem more human somehow, they look at you straight in the eye (the capuchins are too busy having fun to make much eye contact) and appear to take a greater interest in you too - rather than just the contents of your pockets. They look at you and with rounded lips, then go "ooooOOOO", they are soooooo cute!

We then went to meet Quirqui the puma who was rescued from a zoo, he suffers from crippling arthritis in his hind legs so he can't walk very far nor move too fast (luckily for us!). It felt incredible to be so close to a big cat without bars between you and him, absolutely nothing like seeing them in a zoo. It was a shame not being able to stroke him, but we didn't want to risk having our arms torn to pieces if he decided to stroke us back!

So all in all, our visit to the sanctuary was a very enjoyable and memorable experience, and one of the highlights of the trip. So a BIG thank you to Dave for recommending the place and for having been so well respected there, that just mentioning his name alone was like opening Aladin's cave! (By the way Dave, if you're reading this, feel free to add any more information or send some words of wisdom from your experience as a long term volunteer there - send us a comment and we will publish it for all to see!)

Another bonus was that this was the day before Maria' birthday - so it made for a very nice present indeed. By the way, although a few months late, she'd like to send a big thank you to all of you who remembered and sent their greetings. For those who didn't... there's always next year :-). We hope you have also been receiving the cards we've been sending, we haven't forgotten you either despite being thousands of miles away! If you haven't received one since we've been away, it could be because: a) we don't know when your birthday is; b) the postal service is rubbish and it never made it (especially true in Bolivia); or c) we don't like you that much (only joking!!!).

Back in Cochabamba, and on our last day there, as we were walking to our hotel to retire for our last night, a local guy walked past us and mumbled through gritted teeth: "gringos hijos de puta", which literally translates into "gringos sons of bitches". By the time Maria realised what she had heard, the guy (who was a bit of a midget) had got lost in the crowd so we could not say anything back to him. It felt weird being insulted for the sake of it without having done anything to deserve it, but it pretty much summed up the general feeling we had about the place.

So we can't say we were sorry to leave the next day. And we did it the fast way - by plane! Thanks again to mum and dad who contributed to the cause by paying some money into our account as a birthday present to Maria. It was much more comfortable than Bolivia’s dubious bus services.

In under two hours we had landed in La Paz, the highest capital in the world. Find out more in our next blog, which we will hopefully publish before Christmas....

To see some movies related to this blog, click here


*********************************************************************************************


Antes de nada, pedir disculpas a aquellos de vosotros que aun seguís nuestras peripecias y mantenéis la esperanza de que un mes de estos nos pongamos al día; la verdad es que con casi 6 meses de retraso casi nos dan ganas de tirar la toalla, pero seguiremos persistiendo. Nos hemos comprado un ordenador portátil así que esperamos que nos ayude no sólo a actualizar los relatos, sino también con las fotos (esto de la cámara digital será un gran invento, pero da mucho mas trabajo de lo que uno se imagina a la hora de revisar los resultados) y con otro par de proyectos que tenemos en mente (trabajo, que no diversión, no me meto en detalles). Así que a ver si es verdad que nos aplicamos y en las próximas semanas recibís alguna notificación más... pero no prometemos nada. Bueno, se acabo el preámbulo, vayamos a la historia que nos ocupa...


Después de bajarnos del tren en Santa Cruz y una vez en la terminal de autobuses, vemos uno con un cartel que anuncia su destino como Cochabamba y le preguntamos al conductor que a qué hora sale y cuánto cuesta. Tras una pequeña pausa, y tras mirarnos de arriba a abajo (sin duda intentado evaluar el grosor de nuestra cuenta bancaria), nos dice "30 bolivianos" (cada uno). Nos parece una cifra razonable así que decimos que de acuerdo, y mientras colocamos las mochilas en la bodega el amigo se dirige a la oficina a extendernos los billetes. Al par de minutos regresa con dos y al examinarlos me doy cuenta de que el precio dice "20 bolivianos", así que le pregunto que a qué se debe la diferencia y ofreciéndome un resoplido exasperado por respuesta, da media vuelta y se dirige a la oficina de nuevo. Otros dos minutos mas tarde regresa con los mismos billetes pero con un número 3 garabateado sobre el 2, esto apesta a gato encerrado me digo, así que me dirijo a la taquilla yo misma, pregunto el precio del billete y... ¿lo habéis adivinado? 20 bolivianos. Echando chispas le digo al de la taquilla que su conductor nos ha cobrado un 50% por la cara, por lo cual no recibimos ni explicación ni disculpa, pero al menos sí recibimos el reembolso de los 10 bolivianos por billete extras. Ni qué decir tiene que al subirnos al autobús el conductor nos echa una mirada de las que fulminan, y yo que pensaba que se le caería la cara de vergüenza, qué ilusa. Y ésta no seria la última vez que nos tratarían como bancos andantes tampoco.

Como entrábamos en zona de fiebre amarilla, nos dijeron que nos iban a pedir certificado de vacunación, así que los lugareños hicieron cola para vacunarse en un kioskillo montado a este efecto en los mismos andenes de los autocares. Por suerte nosotros nos habíamos vacunado antes de salir de Inglaterra y no precisamos el servicio (que no inspiraba demasiada confianza dicho sea de paso). Por supuesto, los oficiales que se supone nos iban a pedir el certificado nunca se materializaron.

Después de un largo y algo tortuoso viaje, y quedando una hora y media para llegar, uno de los pasajeros se levanta, se coloca en medio del bus y nos anuncia al resto de los allí cautivos (que no cautivados) pasajeros que durante el resto del viaje nos va a hablar de un producto maravilloso que al parecer no podemos encontrar en las tiendas. Y entonces va y se pone a hablar, en gran detalle y sin parar para respirar, de.... bolsitas de laxante. Echándonos un discurso digno de un disertación final para un doctorado en metabolismo humano / biología / medicina, nos "entretuvo" durante el resto del viaje (si, toda la hora y media) hablando sobre las causas y efectos del estreñimiento. Son momentos como estos los que me hacen pensar que hablar el mismo idioma no es siempre necesariamente una ventaja... Damos gracias a Dios y a los cielos por la invención de los estéreos personales. La verdad es que los nuestros nos han salvado de sufrir daño cerebral en mas de una ocasión, particularmente en Bolivia donde la música es muy posiblemente la peor que hemos escuchado hasta ahora, y donde los conductores insisten en tocarla a toda metralla torturando sin piedad ni clemencia a todos los pasajeros.

Una vez en Cochabamba, nos dio un poco la impresión de que no era un sitio demasiado acogedor precisamente. Apenas vimos otros turistas y no nos sentimos particularmente bienvenidos tampoco. Quizás fue el graffiti que vimos en una pared que decía, en ingles, "turistas, volved a casa". Hmmmm... A pesar de ello, nos buscamos un hotel majo y pasamos un par de noches allí.

Algo agradable que si encontramos en Cochabamba fue una colección de establecimientos vendiendo helados y pasteles y también un restaurante que servia deliciosa comida japonesa. Así que no nos quedamos con hambre tampoco. Otra cosa que uno se encuentra en Cochabamba es una estatua gigantesca de Cristo dominando la ciudad desde la cima de una colina cercana. Muy parecida a la de Cristo Redentor en Rio de Janeiro, aunque la posición es mucho menos espectacular. Sin embargo, como la construyeron mas tarde, decidieron hacerla mas grande - ved la foto para saber mas detalles.

En el camino de regreso nos encontramos con una extraña escena - extraña para nosotros amantes de los animales y la higiene: un perro muerto que alguien había tirado con la basura, ahí, en la acera, ¡al lado de los contenedores! Al principio pensamos que no, que no podía ser cierto, que seria un peluche, pero no, era un perro entero, real y verdadero, tieso como un palo. Aunque en realidad no se por que nos sorprendió tanto, porque aquí la gente tiene muy poquita educación general, así que lo de educación medio-ambiental es un concepto totalmente desconocido para ellos, no tienes mas que echar un vistazo por la ventana en cualquier viaje en bus, el campo cerca de cualquier pueblo es un autentico vertedero, la gente tira todo tipo de basura por la
Inti Wara Yassi:  Maria trying to recover her tissue! / Intentando recuperar mi pañuelo!Inti Wara Yassi:  Maria trying to recover her tissue! / Intentando recuperar mi pañuelo!Inti Wara Yassi: Maria trying to recover her tissue! / Intentando recuperar mi pañuelo!

Don't miss Wendy's "don't take it away, please" expression! ********* No os perdáis la expresión de Wendy que parece decir "por favor, no me lo quites"
ventana, dejan a los cerdos sueltos enmarranando todo aun mas. También orinan en cualquier sitio en mitad de la calle (bueno, los hombres solo), la de veces que nos hemos tenido que cruzar la calle para que un tipo no nos salpicara - y no estamos hablando ni de borrachos, ni de vagabundos. Es una verdadera pena porque los paisajes en algunos sitios son realmente increíbles, si tan solo el gobierno empleara algo de tiempo y dinero educando a la gente acerca de estos asuntos, pero imaginamos que tienen problemas mucho más apremiantes de los que preocuparse.

Otro aspecto triste de Cochabamba es que tiene la mayor concentración de mendigos que hemos visto en ninguna otra parte. La imagen mas triste que vimos fue una chica joven con un bebe, debía tener un añito máximo. Estaban sentadas en la calle, parecía que estaban vendiendo chucherías o algo. El bebe era una monada, estaba intentando ponerse de pie, apoyándose sobre las manos y tambaleándose con el culete en pompa. Por fin consiguió erguirse según las alcanzamos, y al tiempo que se levanto, miro hacia arriba y nos vio, e inmediatamente estiro la mano en gesto pedigüeño. La escena nos partió el corazón y nos revolvió el estómago a un tiempo. ¿¿Pero como le puede enseñar nadie a mendigar a un bebe tan pequeño??

Por supuesto que hay tanta gente tan desesperada que necesitan conseguir dinero de cualquier forma, pero hemos oído historias para no dormir, de gente utilizando a niños para mendigar porque la gente les da dinero mas fácilmente a ellos porque dan mas pena. Un chico nos contó que una tía suya le ofreció en una ocasión a una madre soltera un lugar donde vivir, comida y 500 bolivianos al mes a cambio de que le limpiara la casa, y la chica rechazo la oferta diciendo que se sacaba el doble pidiendo en la calle. Como nos dijo el chico, mucha gente tristemente no tiene otra opción, pero otros si la tienen y deciden ir por la opción "fácil". Incluso nos dijo que no nos dejáramos "ablandar" si veíamos a una mujer pidiendo con varios niños porque lo más probable es que hubiera tomado prestados a algunos de ellos, o a un familiar, o a la vecina. Lo triste es que con esa actitud están sentenciando a los niños a una vida de mendicidad, estos pobres críos tienen pocas oportunidades de cambiar su vida con semejantes comienzos. Por supuesto este no es siempre el caso, es difícil juzgar o cerrar los ojos para no verlo cuando lo tienes a tu alrededor por todas partes, la verdad es que quisieras ayudar a todos pero no puedes, es muy triste.

Pero bueno, no queremos deprimir a nadie, así que hablemos de otra cosa...

En Cochabamba contratamos un guía para que nos llevara a un bosque y otro par de sitios en una excursión de dos días. Aunque era bastante barato, resulto ser una perdida de dinero porque lo que hizo lo podíamos haber hecho nosotros solos. Vamos, que pensamos que nos iba a hacer de guía en el sentido de ilustrarnos contándonos cosas de la zona, y lo único que hizo fue mi trabajo, o sea, organizar cosas y enterarse de como llegar a sitios y manejar el presupuesto. Así trabaja de guía cualquiera.

El primer sitio que visitamos fue un circuito de tirolinas y columpios gigantes llamado La Jungla. Situado en mitad de la jungla (evidentemente), al parecer el dueño empezó simplemente construyendo un columpio para sus hijos y mas tarde se le ocurrió que
Inti Wara Yassi:  Oooh, hello handsome! /  Oooh, ¡hola, guapo!Inti Wara Yassi:  Oooh, hello handsome! /  Oooh, ¡hola, guapo!Inti Wara Yassi: Oooh, hello handsome! / Oooh, ¡hola, guapo!

Mark was very popular with the park's resident ladies ********* Mark les gustó mucho a las chicas residentes en el parque
a los "niños grandes" también les gustaría así que se dedico a construir otros columpios mayores. Yo probé los tres primeros, pero según se hacían mas altos, y las escaleras para subir a las plataformas en los árboles mas empinadas sin inspirar gran confianza, me quede pegadita a tierra firme mientras intentaba sacar alguna foto de Mark. Tarea no fácil, quien entiende de fotografía sabrá que intentar sacar fotos de algo moviéndose a gran velocidad disponiendo de poca luz es casi imposible a no ser que tengas una cámara estupenda y/o un buen trípode, y yo careciendo de ambas cosas lo mejor que pude hacer fue sacar una película de Mark tirándose de un columpio de 18 metros de altura, que podéis ver AQUI.

Al día siguiente visitamos el Parque Nacional Carrasco, creímos que nuestro guía nos lo iba a enseñar el mismo y trabajar algo pero no, una vez allí nos obligaron a tomar uno de los guías del mismo parque, así que al final fue como si en vez de guía propio durante dos días simplemente nos hubiéramos llevado a una tercera persona de vacaciones durante un par de días. Nos sentimos unos tontos, pero no pudimos quejarnos a la agencia porque para cuando regresamos a Cochabamba era ya sábado por la noche y no abrían hasta el lunes, y para entonces ya nos habríamos ido. Así que un consejo para cualquiera que se encuentre en la zona - no os dejéis engañar por las agencias dejándonos convencer de que necesitáis un guía a no ser que estéis seguros al 150% de que verdaderamente no podéis llegar a donde sea en transporte público por vuestra cuenta.

Bueno, volviendo al tema que nos ocupaba, el parque. Al parecer es una área protegida importante por la biodiversidad que encierran sus limites, en el parque viven animales como el oso andino (o de anteojos) y varios felinos, sin embargo la única fauna que vimos fueron unas orugas, una rana y varias hormigas coloradas (que si te pican al parecer duele como un demonio, y si eres alérgico al veneno que te inyectan te mueres) - así que la experiencia no fue mas allá de un bonito paseo por un bosque.

Pero bueno, dejamos de quejarnos que vais a empezar a pensar que no estamos disfrutando del viaje ya y no es cierto; solo que pensamos en mostrar por una vez ambas caras de la moneda, que al fin y al cabo todo forma parte de la experiencia.

Lo mejor de los dos días llego al final, sin duda alguna fue la visita a Inti Wara Yassi. Estos son vocablos quechua, aymará y guaraní (lenguas indígenas) respectivamente, y significan Sol, Estrella y Luna. Inti Wara Yassi es un santuario de animales silvestres, donde acogen mayormente a animales que habían sido retenidos como mascotas (muchos ilegalmente) y a las que sus dueños no podían, no querían o no sabían como cuidar en condiciones. La principal atracción son los monos capuchinos, que son los que ve el publico general, pero también tienen felinos, pájaros, tortugas... en algunos casos pueden poner algunos de los animales en libertad, pero para muchos es ya demasiado tarde, pues están tan acostumbrados al contacto humano que no podrían sobrevivir en estado salvaje, o incluso podrían volverse peligrosos al haber perdido el miedo al hombre.

Al santuario vienen voluntarios de todos los rincones del mundo, algunos se quedan unos días solo, otros varios meses. Nosotros también consideramos quedarnos un tiempo pero a esas alturas íbamos bien retrasados con nuestro itinerario y por otra parte al estar en medio de la selva hay tal variedad y cantidad de insectos, que con ver los cientos (y no es exageración) de picaduras que los voluntarios tienen por todo el cuerpo se te quitan las ganas. Al estar en contacto continuo con los animales, no te esta permitido usar repelente por su toxicidad, así que los jodíos insectos disfrutan de un festín continuo. A pesar de todo, los voluntarios parecen disfrutar de cada momento de su experiencia, así que si alguien estaba considerando pasar aquí una temporada, ¡que no se eche atrás por esto! Mejor que eche un vistazo a su página web: Inti Wara Yassi.

Si no vas de voluntario, sino de visitante casual, normalmente solo se te permite ver a los pájaros (que están en jaulas), y a los capuchinos, que andan sueltos y se vuelven locos cada vez que llega alguien nuevo, buscando tesoros escondidos en cada bolsillo y agujero que encuentran y saliendo por pies si consiguen agarrar algo. Ya te avisan a la entrada de que no entres con bolsos/bolsas y que te vacíes los bolsillos completamente, para ello te proveen con casilleros que puedes cerrar con candado. Sin embargo aun hay visitantes que pierden llaves, cámaras, pasaportes y otras cosas de valor porque los podios monos son bien insistentes y mucho mas rápidos de lo que uno se cree. ¿Os imagináis la llamada al consulado? "Hola... que necesito un pasaporte nuevo... ¿que qué ha pasado con el viejo? Pues... que me lo robó un mono... lo juro... no es pitorreo..."

De hecho algunos de los monos habían sido entrenados como rateros por sus dueños para robar a la gente en las calles de Bolivia, así que son extremadamente ágiles e increíblemente hábiles. Tanto así que uno llego a encontrar DOS bolsillos secretos en una camisa de Mark que el desconocía, ¡aun después de haber estado poniéndose la camisa bien a menudo durante los últimos 6 meses!

Otro de los monos se había escapado con la cámara de una de las voluntarias poco antes de llegar nosotros. Al parecer ella la había dejado dentro de su funda, cubierta con varias cosas y dentro de una caseta con triple cerrojo pensando que estaría a salvo, pero no, el mono descorrió los tres cerrojos, entró en la caseta, revolvió todo, encontró la cámara y salio pitando a la copa de un árbol. Una vez allí arriba tiro la funda, abrió la tapa de las pilas, las saco y tiro, logro sacar la tarjeta de memoria, la tiro, y, cuando se canso de jugar con la cámara, la tiro también. Esta la encontraron algo machacada (y más que probablemente rota y sin remedio), pero de las pilas y la tarjeta nunca más se supo. Así que las fotos que había sacado la chica en las últimas semanas las perdió para siempre.

Nos quedamos aquí la torta de tiempo escuchando anécdotas como estas y disfrutando de los juegos y travesuras de los monos. Era súper divertido verlos todo emocionados cada vez que llegaba alguien nuevo, sin perder un segundo en rebuscar por todos los bolsillos e intentando agarrar cualquier cosa que pudieran.

Yo me había quitado hasta los pendientes pero cuando saque un pañuelo para secarme los moquillos la monita bebe de la foto (Wendy) fue rápida como un relámpago y me lo quito. No veáis lo que me costo quitárselo, abriéndole los deditos uno por uno y sacándoselo de su puño, ¡qué lucha! Pero no podía dejar que se lo quedara, son como niños y se lo llevan todo a la boca y le podía hacer daño. A ella no le hizo ninguna gracia que se lo quitara, ¡ya véis en la foto que caras me ponía!

Durante el tiempo que pasamos allí, tuvimos la oportunidad de charlar con Juan Carlos y Nena, los fundadores del santuario. Mi decisión de comentarles que habíamos venido a recomendación de un ex-colega mío resulto ser muy acertada, pues la mención de su nombre fue como gritarle abra cadabra a la cueva de Aladino - Juan Carlos le pidió a uno de los voluntarios que nos llevase a ver a los monos araña, que son con los que trabajo mi ex-colega durante varios meses, ¡y también nos indicó donde encontrar al puma! Menuda suerte porque al publico general no se les permite verlos así que mas contentos que unas castañuelas.

Con los araña no pudimos pasar tanto tiempo como con los capuchinos, pero de cualquier forma la experiencia nos encanto. En cuanto nos vieron llegar empezaron a bajar de los árboles para vernos más de cerca y fue genial. Sus extremidades son tan largas que te dan unos abrazos estupendos, y como utilizan la cola como una extremidad más, abrazo mayor. A mi se me subieron dos bebes encima mientras que a Mark se le engancho al brazo una de las hembras a quien pareció atraerle bastante el recién llegado. La verdad es que son una preciosidad, no son tan traviesos ni tan inteligentes como los capuchinos, y por tanto no tan entretenidos, pero no se, parecen mas humanos, parecen estar verdaderamente interesados en ti mas que en el contenido de tus bolsillos. Te miran fijamente a los ojos y con los labios redondeados te dicen "uuuuuhhh", ¡son taaaan monos!

Antes de marcharnos fuimos a conocer a Quirqui el puma. Rescatado de un zoo, sufre de artritis aguda en sus patas traseras y no puede caminar muy lejos ni moverse muy deprisa (¡por suerte para nosotros!). Fue increíble poder estar tan cerca de semejante animal sin barras de por medio, no tienen nada que ver con la experiencia de verlos en un zoo por ejemplo. Fue una lastima no poder acariciarle pero no quisimos arriesgarnos a que nos hiciera los brazos jirones si se le ocurría devolvernos la caricia.

Total, que la visita al santuario fue una experiencia bien memorable, y definitivamente uno de los momentos más especiales del viaje. Otro plus añadido fue que sucedió el día antes de mi cumpleaños, así que fue un bonito regalo por adelantado. Por cierto, que aunque varios meses tarde, muchas gracias a todos aquellos que se acordaron y mandaron saludos. Los que no lo hicieron, bueno, siempre habrá el año que viene... Esperamos que os estén llegando las postales de cumpleaños que estamos mandando nosotros. Si no os ha llegado ninguna desde que salimos, es porque 1) no sabemos cuando es vuestro cumpleaños 2) el servicio postal es una porquería y la tarjeta nunca llego a su destino (esto es particularmente cierto en Bolivia, un paquete que nos enviamos a nosotros mismos con recuerdos, fotos, y otras cosas, nunca más se supo), o 3) no nos caéis bien (¡¡¡esto es broma!!!).

De vuelta en Cochabamba, y durante nuestra ultima noche allí, regresábamos al hotel después de cenar cuando un tipo canijo pasa por mi lado y murmura entre dientes: "gringos hijos de puta". Como veníamos charlando, no me di cuenta enseguida de lo que había oído, y para cuando quise reaccionar, ya se había perdido entre la multitud. Fue algo inquietante ser insultados de esa manera sin venir a cuento y sin haber hecho nada para merecerlo, pero la verdad es que resumió en cuatro palabras el sentimiento general que nos había producido el lugar. Así que no podemos decir que nos dio pena irnos al día siguiente.

Y lo hicimos por la vía rápida, ¡en avión! Gracias a los padres de Mark que nos dieron dinero como regalo de cumpleaños, que lujo, mucho mas cómodo que el bus.

Así, en menos de dos horas nos habíamos plantado en La Paz, la capital más alta del mundo. En el próximo blog os contaremos mas cosas, con suerte lo publicaremos antes de Navidad...

Para ver películas asociadas con este blog, pinchad aquí



Advertisement



10th September 2006

Amazing adventure
Hi both - We are still so enjoying reading about your amazing adventures around the world. Just keep the blogs coming. Your mum and dad are coming to stay with us overnight today and we are going to plan our next holiday away with them. Its not bad this retirement game! Take care of yourselves. Love Joan and John
10th September 2006

Al fin. Esto hará que tu hermano se baje del tejado (espero).
13th September 2006

Hey hey
we're the Monkees; And people say we monkey around; But we're too busy singing; To put anybody down ;o) Great to have another update with warnings included. You guys should publish it when you get back and then plan another trip and become writers of THE travel companion to have. Pictures are fantastic too. xx

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb