El Pantanal: where everything goes with chips / El Pantanal: dónde todo se come con patatas


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Puerto Suarez - El Pantanal


At the airport we had a nice surprise when we found the plane was indeed not stuck together with cellotape, but was a rather modern jet, and the flight turned out to be very pleasant; the sky was clear for most of the time we were in the air and we enjoyed very good views of the Bolivian mountains and jungle.

Our destination was Santa Cruz de la Sierra , the second biggest city in Bolivia. The city itself does not have much going for it, people use it mostly as a base to explore the nearby mountains or as a stop-over before moving on to somewhere else. We did spend a couple of days here, doing nothing much apart from resting and eating icecream (we went from being rather cold in Potosí only a few days before, to mightly hot here). But mainly what we did was try to find an electrical repair shop where they could mend the broken charger for our mp3 players. These are not only a great help to make the long bus journeys more bearable, but are also what we use to back up all our photos (and we have thousands of these). So as you can imagine it was a disaster when it broke.

In the end we had to give up on it after several people tried /considered it and failed to repair it, but as Mark is so ingenious, he asked one of the men to make us a rudimentary charger, consisting of two plastic cases that hold four AA batteries each, and to which he connected the cable of the now defunct original charger. It's a bit of a pain to have to charge the batteries first so that these can charge the devices, but beggars can't be choosers as the saying goes, and the truth is that it works very well and weighs much less that the original one, which is another added advantage.

From Santa Cruz we took the train to the other end of the country, near the border with Brazil, as our intention was to visit the area of El Pantanal and we had been told that it was considerably cheaper to visit it from Bolivia than from its neighboring country. In addition to this, we fancied making a train journey in South America, which would be a new experience, and to see how it compared to a European train service.

We won't say that the service was horrible, but neither was it particularly comfortable. To begin with, the railway seems to be full of holes, and the incessant shaking of the train makes your bones hurt. As it is impossible to sleep on board of what feels like a bucking bronco, one would at least hope to be able to enjoy the landscape, but alas, since the train leaves around 7 p.m., shortly before if gets dark, to say that the night feels long is a bit of an understatement.

Once at our destination, the small town of Puerto Suárez, we had to pay a small fortune for a room with air conditioning, because the heat was trully horrendous. The prices seemed somehow abusive considering what the town was like (that is, it's got pretty much nothing going for it) and especially as Bolivia is generally so cheap; the only explanation that we can think of is that it's so close to the border with Brazil, which is like three or four times more expensive.

Once installed in our room and after we cooled down a little, we tried going out to lunch but being a Sunday and somewhat late (around 3 pm), the only place that was still open (and the only decent place in town) was no longer serving, so thank heavens that the supermarket was open because if it hadn't we would have gone pretty hungry that day. We bought something basic and cooked it in the room using our camping gear, hoping that the owner wouldn't get a whiff of the tomato sauce and throw us out. The owner didn't, but two enormous cockroaches did, which we found in the bathroom sink when we return after a walk. Yeeeuuuukkk ..... That will teach us not to cook where we shouldn't, or at least to wash up immediately after eating instead of leaving the pots soaking in the sink.

The problem in Puerto Suárez was to find someone to take us to the Pantanal. Our guidebook showed the existence of a tourirst information office and a travel agency, so we thought that one or the other would be able to help us, but when we went looking for them we couldn't find either. We were starting to fear that we may have made the long trip in vain, or that we would have to go into Brazil and pay much more, when a really nice man from the local office of a telephone company came to our rescue. We reckon he was the office manager, because without asking permission nor offering an explanation to anybody, he left the office and drove us in his car to a place where he thought someone could help us. The place turned out to be closed, but somebody who hapened to be nearby told him that that the guys from an ecological centre in the area, which trains young people to become tour guides, were the ones who organised the trips to the Pantanal. So back in his office he offered us a seat, made a phone call for us and asked one of the guys from the centre to come and meet us in the town to try and arrange something. The truth is that it's fantastic to come across people like him, who go out of their way to help out lost tourists, it made us feel very welcome.

So before we knew it, we had the trip planned for the following day. We could have made it a two-day incursion into the jungle including sleeping in a hammock, but in the few hours we has spent in the area we had already been chewed up by mosquitos, so we stuck to the one-day-only option, thanks.

So we left at dawn in a 4x4 and crossed into Brazil until we reached the Paraguay River, which we crossed in the contraption you can see in the picture below, and continued by road to enjoy the local fauna. Being the rainy season, it was not the best time of the year to see the animals, as the area is pretty much all flooded and so they have plenty of places to hide. Even so, we saw a good amount of caymans, an otter (alright, just the head) splashing in the water, capybaras that came up to feed on the grass alongside the road and did not seem worried about our presence, and loads of birds. Apparently every single creature we saw is edible, our guide kept telling us what each one of them tasted like (apparently caymans taste like fish) and whether the meat was tender or flavourful and so on; Mark jokingly asked him whether he had tried them
El Centinela del Pantanal / The Pantanal CentinelEl Centinela del Pantanal / The Pantanal CentinelEl Centinela del Pantanal / The Pantanal Centinel

Also known as / También conocido como: Chajá, Tapacaré
all with chips personally, and he just laughed. We took that as a yes. Some people will eat just about anything that moves.

After spending the morning in the 4x4 we arrived back at the river for lunch, Maria tried freshly caught fish from the river which was rather tasty, apparently people also fish for piranhas and prepare soup with them, but they can't be the aggressive kind as the children swim and wash themselves in the river and do not seem worried about the possibility of having a fish nibbling on them.

After lunch, the guide rented a boat from a local fisherman and took us for a ride down the river. Here we saw some more cayman, more birds, and two huge iguanas bathing in the sun. Unfortunately they shoot off before you have time to focus the camera so unfortunately we do not have any photos. Despite not seeing as much fauna as we would had liked, the boat ride was really enjoyable, you are surrounded by nothing but nature as far as the eye can see and there's an unmatched peace and tranquillity about the place. We believe that it was here that we first felt like the office had never really existed, and wondered whether we would ever be able to go back and survive the experience.

And that's about it really, there is not much more to tell about this chapter, so we leave you to look at the pictures.

After another insufferable night on the train back (the many mosquitos bites we brought back with us didn't help either), we decided that we had not been tortured enough and within half an hour we had jumped on a bus to our following destination - Cochabamba and the wild animal sanctuary in Villa Tunari. But as must have already guessed, this belongs to next blog…


*******************************************


En el aeropuerto nos llevamos la grata sorpresa de que el avión no estaba pegado con celofán, sino que era un jet moderno, y el vuelo fue muy agradable con muy buenas vistas sobre las montañas y jungla bolivianas.

El destino fue Santa Cruz de la Sierra, la segunda ciudad más grande de Bolivia. La ciudad en si no tiene mucho que ver, la gente la utiliza como base para explorar la serranía cercana o como punto de partida
Capybara / CapibaraCapybara / CapibaraCapybara / Capibara

The world's largest rodent; adults can weigh more than 100 lb., reach an overall length of 4 feet and a shoulder height of 21 inches. And they're soooo cute! ********* El roedor más grande del mundo; los adultos pueden pesar más de 50 kgs, alcanzar una longitud de 1.20 metros y una altura de 54 cms (hasta los hombros). ¡Y son taaaan monos!
hacia otro sitio. Nosotros pasamos un par de días aquí, más que nada descansando y comiendo helados (después del frío que pasamos en Potosí tan sólo unos días antes, aquí pasamos un calor espantoso). Pero principalmente intentando encontrar una tienda eléctrica que fuese capaz de reparar el cargador de la batería interna de nuestros reproductores de mp3, que son no sólo una gran ayuda para hacer los largos trayectos en bus más soportables, sino que también los usamos para guardar todas nuestras fotos y tenemos miles de ellas. Así que como imagináis fue un desastre que se nos rompiera.

Al final tuvimos que dejarlo por imposible después de que varias personas lo intentaran / consideraran y fallaran, pero como Mark es así de ingenioso le pidió a uno de los señores que le fabricara un cargador rústico, consistente en dos estuches de plástico que sujetan cuatro pilas AA cada uno y a los que conectó el cable del difunto cargador original. Es un poco rollo tener que cargar las pilas primero para que éstas puedan cargar los aparatos, pero a grandes males grandes remedios como dice el refrán. Y la verdad es que funciona la mar de bien y pesa mucho menos que el original, que es otra ventaja añadida.

De Santa Cruz tomamos el tren hasta el otro extremo del país, pegando ya a la frontera con Brasil, pues nuestra intención era visitar la zona de El Pantanal y nos habían informado que era bastante más barato visitarlo desde Bolivia que desde el país vecino. Además nos apetecía hacer un viaje en tren en Sudamérica por aquello de tener una experiencia más, y ver cómo se comparaba con un servicio de tren europeo. No diremos que el servicio fue horrible, pero cómodo desde luego que tampoco. Para empezar la vía parece estar llena de baches, y el traqueteo incesante del tren te muele los huesos. Como es imposible dormir a bordo de lo que parece un toro salvaje de los rodeos americanos, al menos uno esperaría poder disfrutar del paisaje, pero no, ya que el tren sale como a las 7 de la tarde cuando apenas queda una hora de luz, así que decir que se hace la noche un poco larga es decir poco.

Una vez en nuestro destino, el pequeño pueblo de Puerto Suárez, tuvimos que pagar una pequeña fortuna por una habitación con aire acondicionado, porque el calor era infernal. Los precios nos parecieron abusivos para lo que es el pueblo (o sea, que no tiene nada) y para Bolivia; la única explicación que podemos darle es que es más caro por estar pegado a la frontera con Brasil, que es como tres o cuatro veces más caro.

Una vez instalados en nuestro cuarto quisimos salir a comer pero siendo domingo y algo tarde para comer (hacia las 3), el único sitio que estaba aún abierto (y el único sitio decente en el pueblo) ya no nos servía, así que menos mal que el supermercado estaba abierto porque si no, nos desmayamos de hambre ese día. Compramos algo básico y lo cocinamos en nuestro hornillo de camping en la habitación, esperando que al dueño no le llegara el olorcillo de la salsa de tomate y nos echara. Al dueño no le llego, pero sí a dos cucarachas enormes que nos encontramos al regresar a la habitación después de dar un paseo. Que ascooooo...... Eso nos enseñará a no cocinar donde no debemos, o por lo menos a fregar inmediatamente en vez de dejar la cacerola en remojo.

El problema en Puerto Suárez
Male Capybara / Capibara machoMale Capybara / Capibara machoMale Capybara / Capibara macho

You can tell it´s a male because of the scent gland on its snout, which they use to mark their territory ********* Puedes saber que es macho por la glándula sebácea que tiene en el hocico y que utilizan para marcar su territorio
fue encontrar a alguien que nos llevara al Pantanal. Nuestra libro-guía mostraba la existencia de una oficina de información y de una agencia de viajes, así que pensamos que sin problema, que en una u otra nos ayudarían, pero cuando salimos a buscarlas no encontramos ni la una ni la otra, ni nadie sabía darnos razón. Ya temíamos que nos habíamos pegado el viaje en balde, o que íbamos que tener que pasar a Brasil y pagar mucho más, cuando un chico súper simpático de la oficina local de una compañía telefónica nos sacó del apuro. Creemos que debía ser el jefe de la oficina, porque sin pedir permiso ni dar explicaciones a nadie se salió del despacho y nos acercó en su coche a un sitio donde pensó nos podrían ayudar. Este resultó estar cerrado, pero alguien que andaba por allí le comentó que los chicos de un albergue ecológico de la zona que se encarga de entrenar a jóvenes como guías turísticos eran los que organizaban los viajes al Pantanal en la zona, así que de regreso en su oficina nos ofreció asiento e hizo la llamada por nosotros y pidió a alguien del albergue que se acercara al pueblo a hablar con nosotros. La verdad es que es un gusto encontrarse con gente así por el mundo y nos hizo sentir muy bienvenidos. Y antes de darnos cuenta ya teníamos la excursión preparada para el día siguiente.

Podíamos haberla hecho de dos días y dormir en la jungla, pero en las pocas horas que llevábamos en la zona ya nos habían masticado pero bien los mosquitos así que nos quedamos con la opción de un día solamente, gracias.

Al día siguiente salimos al amanecer en un 4x4, y cruzamos a Brasil hasta llegar al Río Paraguay. Aquí encargamos el almuerzo en un restaurante y después de cruzar el río en la embarcación de la foto continuamos carretera adelante a disfrutar de la fauna local. No era la mejor época del año para avistar animales pues al ser la temporada de lluvias estos tienen un montón de sitios a los que acudir y donde esconderse. Aún así, vimos un montón de caimanes, una nutria (bueno, solo la cabeza) dándose chapuzones, capibaras que salían a la carretera a comer y no parecían preocupadas por nuestra presencia, y un montón de aves. Al parecer todo bicho que vimos es comestible, el guía nos iba diciendo a qué sabía cada uno (al parecer el caimán sabe a pescado) y si la carne era tierna o sabrosa o que sé yo; Mark le bromeaba diciendo que si se los había comido a todos con patatas, aquí la gente es que no hace ascos a nada.

Al regreso paramos en el restaurante para el almuerzo, yo probé el pescado fresco del río (no recuerdo su nombre) que resultó muy sabroso, al parecer también hay pirañas con las que preparan sopa, pero no deben ser muy agresivas porque los niños del pueblillo que había allí se bañan en el río tanto por higiene como por diversión y no parece preocuparles la posibilidad de que un pez les pegue un bocado.

Después de comer el guía le alquilo la barca a un pescador local y nos llevo a dar un paseo por el río. Aquí vimos más caimanes, mas aves, y dos iguanas enormes tomando el sol. Desafortunadamente salen pitando antes de que te dé tiempo a enfocar la cámara asi que no tenemos fotos de estas. A pesar de no ver tanta fauna como nos hubiese gustado, el paseo en barco fue una gozada, hasta donde te alcanza la vista estás rodeado de naturaleza y se respiran una paz y tranquilidad incomparables. Creo que fue aquí cuando por primera vez nos dió la impresión de que la oficina nunca existió en la realidad, y nos preguntamos si alguna vez vamos a poder volver a una y sobrevivir la experiencia.

Y aparte de esto, no hay mucho más que contar acerca de esta experiencia, así que os dejamos que miréis las fotos.

Tras otra noche insufrible de tren (y las muchas picaduras de mosquitos que nos llevamos no ayudaron tampoco), decidimos que no había sido suficiente tortura y conectamos con un bus a nuestro siguiente destino - Cochabamba y el Santuario de animales silvestres en Villa Tunari. Pero como ya os habréis imaginado, esto pertenece al próximo blog...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Who's that Australian? / ¿Quién es ese Australiano?Who's that Australian? / ¿Quién es ese Australiano?
Who's that Australian? / ¿Quién es ese Australiano?

Maria was actually glad when he lost that hat ********* La verdad es que me alegré cuando perdió ese sombrero


10th July 2006

Crocs
Those crocs were a bit close for my liking, or were they gaters? Looks hot to me. I'm in Australia at the moment - 6 weeks business training Smartnet - sadly it's cold and dark most of the time!
6th January 2007

Bolivia was great
I cant wait to bring my friends to see this paradise in Bolivia great country, I had a wonderful experience.....

Tot: 0.551s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 20; qc: 118; dbt: 0.2421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb