Lago Epuyen and the Wild Country


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 8th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -42.2082, -71.4262

We rented a car and drove up into the mountains today. They're so close--this valley is narrow with towering mountains on two sides that we only just get to glimpse because of the low cloud cover. But with Claudio's help we found a river that joins Lago Epuyen and Lago Puelo and fished it, along with visiting Lago Epuyen as well.

This is wild country. It's settled, but sparsely. Driving through it there are places you can entirely forget you're not in Montana, until you come upon a strange conglomerate of shacks/sheds/animal pens. I don't even think they'd call these pueblos, they're almost like summer cabins for the poor with really bad taste.

It's good for the soul to see there's still country like this, but to find really desolate, unoccupied land you need to go further south around El Calafate where the glaciers are. There the wind wipes clean the trash people do and leaves only tenacious shrubs and bent low to the ground scrubby trees. Even the people looked scrubbed by the incessant wind.

It was so fun to have a car we're thinking we might try driving part of our next trip to either Argentina or Chile, a couple of pretty safe, familiar countries. We love discovering new places and having the freedom to stop whenever we want.

And Bob's getting really good with the brakes when I grab my camera and holler STOP!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Patagonian Cowboy--Today's GauchoPatagonian Cowboy--Today's Gaucho
Patagonian Cowboy--Today's Gaucho

Every guy we saw on a horse today was wearing this same type of hat. I've got to have this cap--I love it.
National Park EntranceNational Park Entrance
National Park Entrance

Argentina doesn't make quite the deal out of their national parks as we do. This road was in dire need, but our little rental looked like it'd seen worse than this.


10th February 2010

Did you catch anything?
10th February 2010

photos coming....

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb