El presidente and the Condors


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
July 9th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We have now reached the home of Argentinian independence, Tucuman where it was declared from Spain 190 years ago today.

We have been able to upload some photos which are in the gallery and show: colourful La Boca, Jeremy and Osvaldo, Jane, Jem and Ian at San Telmo and the Cordoba bus terminal before the holiday weekend.

On our last day in Cordoba we took a bus out to the National Park Quebrada de Condorito (Canyon of the little Condor), Argentina's newest. The bus drops you in what seems like the middle of no where. You take the only dirt road there is - the are still finishing the road into the park. We were the only visitors that day along with three French people. We got a ride in the back of a park workers pick up to the visitors centre - only a counter and toilets so far. The guide was very helpful and showed us the route in. The was a well marked trail to the 'Balcon Norte' through the rocky terrain scattered with quartz and mica and patches of pampas grass.

Across the canyon the condors, the area is known for, fly out
from a rockface. They are well in the distance but the shear number make the site impression. We had lunch in the company of a which eat out of IanĀ“s hand. A buzzard Eagle also flew out just by us and eyed our sandwiches suspisously. As we worked back to catch the 6.30pm bus back to Cordoba the moon came out and the mica twinkled like the night sky in the evening sun.

After a uneventfull night bus trip, we had a recuperating, relaxing and restful day in the Tucaman hostel in which Dan managed to fall asleep in a hammock in the garden. The celebrations of Independance started at midnight. We went up to the Casa Historica, where it had all started 190 years ago. The national anthem was sung by the crowd and then fireworks started up from the building above us and were scarily close. We then watched a parade of at least 50 Gauchos on horseback.

Today, after a quick breakfast in a Panadaria, we headed up to Plaza Independencia where the main celebrations were being held. It was reported that 10,000 people were expected to turn up to see El Presidente make his speech. In the afternoon we headed back to the hostal to pack up for our next destination, the Inca ruins and watch Italy's victory.

Jem and Dan

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb