Moving on up!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba
July 7th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Before we left Buenos Aires we were hosted by Jem's old Cambridge associate, Osvaldo and his family. This was a wonderful evening where we got to have our first ever Argentinian barbeque - although there were some bits they left out because they thought we would not be used to eating them! We got to meet all the family and it was fascinating to talk with them and share life's experiences. Osvaldo and I had not seen each other for 25 years. We also got to share mate for the first time and it was not to everyone's liking (was it Dan?!).

We also visited La Boca, an arty area to the south of the city with brightly painted buildings and the Boca Juniors soccer stadium. As with everywhere there are people handing you pieces of paper advertising tango, leather etc. We have had fun taking pictures although we still have not worked out how to upload them as internet cafes seem to not have usb ports available. We must be missing something.

That evening we took our first 'cama´bus to Cordoba. The seats are wide and soft and go down to 165 degrees. It was warm but we all got some sleep. You could get food but we got on the bus at 10pm and just crashed until it arrived at Cordoba the next morning. We piled out into a coffee shop for breakfast to collect our thoughts. The website www.plataforma10.com is great for seeing all the bus timetables.

Cordoba is a University town. It has been the city founder's day and there has been parades and artisan markets. We have also been educated on Jesuit history. It is unseasonally warm and we have had 26 degrees C with blue sky today.

The Argentinian champagne is now ready. Ian got 42 points in his IB and is off to study at Cambridge in October.

Next stop is condor spotting and Tucuman.

Jem

Advertisement



7th July 2006

Well done Ian! (Postcard from Canterbury)
Congrats to Ian from us all, presumably if he had actually worked for it they would have just enrolled him straight onto a PhD... Love the blog Jem, and don't worry Dan, I would have given the Mate a miss...[Wikipedia definition sounds gross: "The drink has a pungent taste like a cross between green tea and coffee, with hints of tobacco and oak" - yuk...] Very envious of all the sights and sounds, but who knows we might manage something later in the year - I have an interview next week (!) Interesting times. See you when you get back Pete and co

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.9kb