the latest and greatest of our travels


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
December 9th 2010
Published: December 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Fitz Roy, ArgentinaFitz Roy, ArgentinaFitz Roy, Argentina

Thor pondering life at a cold glacier lake
Happy Holidays friends and family
It has been a while since I have been able to get online and make an entry so there is a lot to say! After the last entry we headed south to the end of the world! On that trip we met lots of generous people who showed us the hospitality of Argentina and Chile. The final part of our journey down to Ushuaia was with a trucker by the name of Walter Oliver, turns out he is also a singer of romantic ballads. He sung to us on the 2 day journey and when we parted ways he gave us a CD with his photo on it. Ushuaia turned out to be more of a tourist trap than anything so we stayed out of town and spent our days walking around the city and forest and hanging out with our taxi driving friend who showed us some Argentine rock music. The town is in a beautiful spot, cradled by mountains and and the Beagle Channel.
From Ushuaia we travelled north, the only direction we could have gone, and made our way to Torres del Paine, a national park in Chile. We set out
jump!jump!jump!

Friends of the trail, loving the sun.
on the ¨Grand Circuit¨ a trip supposed to take 8-9 days. The hiking was incredible, we walked along silty glacier river with pairs of resident geese, we walked through mountain passes with the wind howling and spitting snow on our faces, and found lakes in colors i have never seen in nature; pistacio, turquoise and smoky blue. Most of the days we walked in the rain and snow, at night we had to be creative to stay dry, using lots of sticks and duct tape. The wind blew alot in this park, not just a little wind most of the time, but A Lot of Strong wind, a few times it threw us around like ragdolls. However, the last day we had glorious sunshine (still windy) and climbed up up up to where we could see the Torres (towers) amazing granite structures that entice thousands of people to the park each year. We walked fast and far and finished the circuit in just 5 days... something around 70 miles.
After leaving the park we ate a really big dinner in Puetro Natales, Chile and spent a day resting and recovering. We set out north again to El Chalten, Argentina.
the magnificent Torres del Painethe magnificent Torres del Painethe magnificent Torres del Paine

We learned why they call them the Towers of Pain, but after five days we appreciated this view
A little town next to some big, impressive mountains called Fitz Roy. There we were reunited with friends from the previous trek in Torres del Paine. Rain kept us kind of trapped in our campground but the 5 of us made some fabulous dinners, one night was gnoccis, tasty homemade potatoe pasta bits. We trekked in the Fitz Roy for 3 days in the snow and sun, once again. Also quite lovely, beautiful views of mountains and glaciers, lots of laughing and joy.
Still moving north, we left El Chalten for Esquel, a town in the Lake District of Argentina. Earlier in our travels we met a guy from Esquel, so we went to visit him. He took us to the national park nearby that unfortunately has a big hydroelectric dam in the middle of it. Before the dam it was beautiful forest, now its underwater. The natives of the area call it Lost Beauty. Nonetheless, the park was unique and we hiked one days in a purple canyon! Not just a little purple, but various shades of real purple, I have seen nothing of this sort before.
Now we are in a fertile valley town called El
smile for momma!smile for momma!smile for momma!

Los Cuernos (the Horns) in Torres
Bolson, the people here love the alternative life and we are enjoying this relaxed little town with plentiful fruit. Christmas is upon us all so I´m thinking of family and friends even more than ever. Travelling inevitably brings my attention to those of us who have very little, people all over the world are just trying to get food in there bellies and a warm place to sleep. But I have also experienced generosity when it seems there is nothing to give. I encourage us all to share; share what you have, your smiles, your opinion, your joy, your acknowledgment, your food, your clothes. Don´t be stingy with joy, it doesn´t run out, when you use it, you just get more! Thankyou for keeping us in your thoughts as we embark on this journey, we have been safe and have been blessed with great people at every turn in our path. In case I don´t write before the holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, see ya in 2011!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

sunshine!sunshine!
sunshine!

A break in the clouds along a glacier river


13th December 2010

I encourage us all to share; share what you have, your smiles, your opinion, your joy, your acknowledgment, your food, your clothes. Don´t be stingy with joy, it doesn´t run out, Thanks for the advice Marin. I will continue to share all of the above with all the people I know Great New Years resolution Especially the opinion but you already know how good I am at that. We love you gal and will miss you emmensly at Christmas. We are off to Homer to HOHOHO and you will be with all the way. Enjoy your time and stay safe. Also remember those of us that love you to peices. xoxoxoxo Tom and Nancy
13th December 2010

OOOH PICTURES
I am seeing some of the most beautiful places in your pictures....not to mention that good looking man who is pondering life! It seems that y'all are actually LIVING a grand life and are able to see how others live with and without all that we Americans take for granted. I am so glad to be able to link myself to your trek even by an online medium. It is wonderful to see those mountains and lakes and flowers and streams that I will never go to but can say I have 'visited' through y'all.
18th December 2010

Greetings From Rio
Hey Dagwood!!!!!! We are here in Rio de Janeiro Brasil and having a fabulous time. The people here are super friendly and value lots of sun and nice beaches. The night life here is incredible with lots of clubs to go to and the sightseeing is wonderful. A month here just wasnt enough. We traveled by bus about 150KM south to a place called Buzious. It was a tourist place for people from South America mainly Chile, Argentina and Uraguay. Again we were greeted with kindness and everyone was smiling. Just a beautiful place in the world. I am heading back to AK on monday and will miss this place alot. But I get to go home to my family and Christmas with them so that will be nice. Just wanted to drop you a line and say hi from the same country. It sound like you guys are having a blast and the pictures are wonderful!!!!! Travel safe and I will see you this summer sometime or something like that!!!!! Tchao!!! ~T~
20th December 2010
smile for momma!

momma loves you!

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb