Malargue


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 1st 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a little bus ride watching Ace Ventura (twice), we arrived in a sleepy little place called Malargue. It´s a lot more relaxed than all the big cities we´ve been too, and for once crossing the road isn´t a life threatening task.

It´s a bit odd round here - loads of Volcanoes nearby and near the Andes, but also quite sandy, which is apparently volcanic dust from old eruptions. Great scenery about though, and they even have skiing here in the winter.

We found out about some caves nearby, and thought we´d have a day out there. We went to a waterfall on the way, which was good, just to sweeten us up for what was to come. When I´ve been to caves before it´s been pretty tame - a steady walk looking at rocks and so on - but that wasn´t what we found here. It was like potholing, with climbing through small gaps, and massive drops into the darkness. At one point we were climbing down to a ladder with a 20 - 30 ft drop below us, with no ropes! We survived though, and Sarah has faced her fear of clostrophobia, which was nice for her.

Other than that we´ve just been relaxing here to be honest, and booking stuff up. We´re going to have to do some flights in a couple of weeks so we can make it down to the Perito Moreno glacier, so we´ve got loads booked up round that. Very organised, mostly thanks to Sarah!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



4th February 2010

keep on trucking
hey, hey, keep up with the posts it's been really nice to read them all so far x x x
5th February 2010

How could you!
I can't think of anything worse than squeezing through crevices in rocks underground. You're very brave! I've looked at some photos of the glacier that you're heading for. It looks amazing! Plenty of good photo opportunities there. You've certainly covered some miles already. Hope the next stage of your journey goes well, love mum xx

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb