Drake shake…or flakes?


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
January 4th 2023
Published: January 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The predictions for the weather were not great…they said it was going to be around a six on a 15 point scale…but assured us it was well within what our boat was capable of withstanding…excellent, great, thanks. But things, so far, have turned out better than anticipated. We knew we were entering the Drake around midnight and there was a definite increase in motion throughout the night, together with some shaking and early morning chucking. But we were medicated and prepared and things have apparently been far better than predicted.

The side effect of the constant rocking, and maybe the drugs, is that pretty much every time I sit down, I fall asleep. Lucky today has been full of not all that much, so I’ve had ample opportunity to find out how much of any easy baby I must have been!

We’ve had a few briefings on bio security and zodiac landings, collected our boots and mud room spots and eaten our body weights. Also had some lectures on the geology and geomorphology of the area and the seabirds we might anticipate seeing. Almost as if he was listening in, a Wandering Albatross turned up to say hi while we were having dinner.

We’ve alternated the day between napping/reading and catching some fresh air and checking out the waves on the deck. Hoping the smooth weather continues until tomorrow when we should officially arrive in Antarctic territory.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb