The day has finally come!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego
January 3rd 2023
Published: January 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After the excitement of yesterday’s successful tests, we knew we had a bit more World Cup efficiency to get through. Disappointingly, it didn’t take that long…so we had a whole day to fill until we could get on the boat.

Wandered around for coffee and a bit of souvenir shopping (noting the location of every stuffed penguin in Ushuaia for future reference) as well as some last minute clothes purchases for those who left their jumpers on the floor of their bedrooms and those who left their waistlines in pre-covid times.

Some tasty empanadas for lunch before another lap of the town and the realisation that we had totally exhausted everything there was to do in Ushuaia and there was still 2 hours to go…and it was pouring with rain and blowing a howling gale. Now we REALLY wanted to get on that boat.

Clearly not a country that takes on their world champion status lightly, another huge effort was devoted to some world-class stuffing around before we were loaded on a bus and driven around the block to the port and onto the boat.

We had finally made it!!! We were on board! Pleasingly the Canadians apparently do organisation better than they do communication and our cabin, together with all our bags was ready to go.

Some afternoon tea, a safety briefing and some welcome presentations and the excitement in the room was palpable when we could feel the engines start and the boat began to move. Enjoyed the last hours of still water through the Beagle Channel before a delicious dinner. Eventually the excitement and anticipation of the day caught up with us all and we retired for the evening, full of trepidation over what the night in the Drake Passage may bring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb