Sailing from Ushaia and The Drake Passage


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
February 11th 2016
Published: March 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Before I start apologies for the delay in posting these blogs. We ended up on an old-fashioned holiday - no internet or phone. We are now home but I have decided to record them anyway.

After leaving Buenos Aires we flew to Ushaia , the southernmost town in South America, nicknamed the "end of the world". It is the gateway to Antarctica for cruises. After being collected at the airport we were given a quick overview of the town and then left to explore on our own and have lunch. The weather changed from cool and sunny to cold to wet to snow!!

Le Lyrial is a Ponant boat and is only 8 months old. We are on a Scenic tour and are joining many others who have come either directly from Australia or have been in South America on other Scenic tours (mostly of South America). There are 194 passengers and 154 crew. After being shown to our cabins we were fitted for our boots and parkas, then off to dinner and an early night after our early start that morning.

We woke early after a bad nights sleep and hit the gym. Bad idea as the rolling seas do not combine well with treadmills . The next two days provided an opportunity to familiarise ourselves with the boat and routine. We slept, ate, attended lectures on bio security (keeping the Antarctica clean), zodiac cruising and met some of the 'ologists' that were on board who over the next few days would provide us with their knowledge of the Antarctic, how it works, the history and the wildlife. A different way to spend Valentines Day.

We finished the second evening with the Captain inviting everyone to the theatre for a photo op and glass of Veuve Cliquot.

Everyone is eagerly anticipating the next day when the adventure really begins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb