End of the world!!


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

End of the world here we are!!. From Rio Gellogos we got a connection bus to Ushuia straight away. In total we spent 33 hours on a bus! What we did not realise was when we were going to Ushuia we had to cross the border from Argentina to Chile and back again, this took hours. It seems silly that to get to 1 point of Argentina to another you have to pass through Chile. On the way to Ushuia we passed through mountains covered with snow, these glowed in the dark and was amazing to see. We meet a Korean girl on the bus who new of a cheap hostel. When we arrived in Ushuia it was so cold so we jumped in a taxi. She made us laugh as she tried to get in the front seat with her backpack on and got stuck. We arrived at the hostel at the night and the kitchen was closed so we went into town to grab some fastfood. The place recommended by the hostel was packed full of men, as the navy ship had just docked. We got our food and got out quick!!

We got up late the following morning and explored Ushuia town. The hostel we were staying at felt like a boarding school so many rules and regulations. For example we had to cook between 6pm and 10.30pm, no alcohol after 11 and in bed by 12. We tried cooking jacket potatoes that night but we run out of time. The witch that owned the hostel told us kitchen was closed so we had to eat half cooked potatoes!! They were disgusting they were barely warm.

The next day we went into the mountains to see the glacier. The plan was to take a taxi to the chair lift but the taxi could not get up. It got stuck and turned back and left us half way. It was fun walking as it was proper snow everywhere. As we walked higher the snow got heavier. We finally got to the chair lift and started the trail. As we were walking we were sinking in the snow. It was going up to our knees!! On the way up we met 4 Argentinian men who we convinced to go to the top to see the Glacier.We had a snowball fight as we climbed up the slope. As we were nearing the top the snow was getting heavier and there was no sign of the glacier, we think it was covered in snow and it looked like a storm was coming in. The trail had disappeared!. On the way down it was really fun as we run down and the only way to stop was to fall over in the snow. We met the guys at the bottom. Both of us were cold and wet so we had a hot chocolate in the cafe.

That night we tried out our local pub the invisible bar. It was warm and cozy. We got a taxi back as Sam D fell on the way and sprained her ankle. Ushuia was a lovely little town which is the southern most city in the world. Only 750 miles away from Antarctica.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



23rd May 2007

Snow Whites
Hello Snow Whites!! Fantastic photos again girls. Such a contrast from Brazil! It must be lovely to have so much snow that you could dive in it - wheres the snowman? It was so good to see you on the webcam Sam, its a shame every hostel doesn't have them, still good to hear your voice though on the headset. Look after yourselves Love you loads Mum J XXXX
31st May 2007

lucky girls
Hi girls 33 hours on a bus oh my goodness! I bet it was worth it though...I'm glad you are making friends and enjoying yourselves. I bet you couldn't believe your eyes when u went in the pub and see all them men. I can understand you wanting to get out quick though. I bet they were all staring....Proper Snow! How lucky can you get... we never get it over here and if we do its not very deep. Hope you made the most of it and had great snow ball fights with your new friends you made. Wheres the pic of the snowman? One question - was there a reason why the bar was called invisible bar.....strange name....was it hard to see?...Ha ha ..Hope your ankle is better now Sam. You need to rest cos you have lots more walking to do before this journey is over. Loving every moment of your holiday.. Can't wait to read the next episode love u lots. Mum Vanessa xxxxxx

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb