Brrrrrrrrr!!!!


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We took a bus from Ushuia to El Calafate and arrived at 1´0 clock in the morning after another 18 hour bus ride. At the bus station we met a danish girl and an australian guy called Micheal who we shared a dorm with in America Del Sur. The hostel was really nice and even had underfloor heating. We woke up really late and wondered into town. There were gangs of dogs everywhere, every time a car passed they would jump up with no fear. We were scared when the dogs came near us as we have not had our rabbis jab!!

We went on a tour to walk on one of the biggest glaciers in the world Perito Moreno. First we viewed it from a distance. It was ice blue and glowed at night. The air around it was so cold. Whilst we were there we witnessed small chunks of ice fall off. The sound it made was unbelievable. We then took a boat where we had a panoramic view of the glacier. As we moved closer we could see the real size compared to us. We then put crampons on and started walking on the ice. It was amazing!!! We could see deep cracks in the ice, some of them filled with fresh water from the glacier. The guides took us up down and over the ice showing us different techniques of how to move around the glacier. To end the day we had whisky on the rocks with ice from the glacier.

It was a short and sweet stay and we took a bus the next morning to Puerta Natales in Chile.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



30th May 2007

Now that looks good!, Whisky and glacial ice...life is good.
31st May 2007

brrrr wow!
What can I say.....The pictures are amazing. blue ice wow! can't imagine what it must be like, but it is really making me want to join you. You both look swedish in your little bobble hats and scarfs. I know it must have been very cold, but you certainly look like you had great fun. I was a bit worried when I read about the dogs scarey...I'm glad you escaped with out any bites :) Love the photos of you both with the glacier in the background. A definite centre piece for a bedroom wall. I am enjoying every bit of your journey. Luv mum V xxx

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb