Este el fin del Mundo (as we know it)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 23rd 2007
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

...and we feel fine. Yes, we´re fully recovered and finally enjoying our trip. We flew to Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego, so nearly the end of the world, or as a local told us " the other ass of the world". We arrived late in the evening and fortunately already had a hostel booked. This is very contrary to our normal mode of travel, but we decided to play it safe. Ushuaia proved to be very touristy and we weren´t able to book a bus out of here until five days out. So, we´re shuffling along the streets with the hundreds of other backpackers and older cruise ship travellers, seeing the sights.

So we oreintated ourselves around town and got the feel of things. We went to book a boat trip for the next day and of course ended up on it about 10 minutes later - as it goes... Instant gratification. We headed along with 4 from Buenos Aires to spy some sea lions and many types of birds in the Beagle Channel - where the Atlantic and Pacific meet.

It was a nice 4 hour excursion and we actually learned quite a bit of the flora and
Main drag in UshuaiaMain drag in UshuaiaMain drag in Ushuaia

We have walked up and down this street about 578 times.
fauna of the area. There are many similarities between here and coastal Alaska - so we feel at home. The actual town is bustling and very expensive. I described it like a giant Seward - for those that have been. Nonetheless we are enjoying ourselves here and were not able to book a 3rd night because it is so busy so we are off to camp for two nights and return Sat night for our 12 hour bus ride north to Punta Arenas Chile....

**ADDENDUM**
We just had to post some photos of the brewery we went to last night...it was a super cool building, an amazing view, and the beer (supposedly the southernmost brewery in the world) was pretty good too.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

LupineLupine
Lupine

Amazing, huge lupines of all colors grow here.
Island in the Beagle ChannelIsland in the Beagle Channel
Island in the Beagle Channel

Very weird plants that looked like they were growing on a rock, but were actually the entire plant.
Sea Lion RookerySea Lion Rookery
Sea Lion Rookery

Southern Sea Lions...and King Cormorants
Tour BoatTour Boat
Tour Boat

We were lucky to find a small, old crabbing boat turned tour boat for our trip. There were only 6 of us, not 300. And it was a family operation on their 3850th tour! Tres Marias was the boat.
Southernmost Brewery in the WorldSouthernmost Brewery in the World
Southernmost Brewery in the World

..or so they say. It was good beer. This place was outside of town a bit...we took a cab out there for a beer or two, and we´re totally taken by the design of the building.
Kevyn at the BreweryKevyn at the Brewery
Kevyn at the Brewery

...in the super pillow area


28th January 2007

Lupine
The lupine and you guys look great. Glad to hear you are on the mend and Dave missed getting the crud. Mikie is well and headed back to school on Monday but bet he'd rather be with you....well I gues we all would! - Love Dad, Julie and Mikie
28th January 2007

gracias
...where the Atlantic and the Pacific meet? cool...thanks for sharing your trip with us...btw you two are cute in any setting! It's 38F and still sort of light at 5:30pm! Yeah! Hasta!
31st January 2007

Killer Dogs
Hey, hope you didn't have any encounters with the killer dogs of Ushuaia... aren't they the meanest beings on earth?
2nd January 2011
More beautiful lupine

I love lupines
Very nice photo!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb