The wind blows strong here!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Chaltén
March 18th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!
Just back from 4 days camping in Los Glaciares National Park here in Patagonia. The first thing i should say about camping for 4 nights is that that´s a heck of a lot of food to carry. And stupidly I didn´t leave any of my stuff in the base town (El Chalten) on account of not liking the hostel i stayed in the night before the outing. So there I was hiking around with about 20kg in my rucksack!

And whatsmore I ate all the nice food - 2 bars chocolate, biscuits, 4 peaches, cucumber, in the first two days and was left with the horrible stuff for the last two (corned beef... surely not how i remember as a kid, tortellini that tasted of mushed potato, and mouthfuls of patagonian grit courtesy of the famous wind that whipped everything up!)

Anyway, i can´t upload photos from here, but i have some amazing shots of Fitz-Roy at sunrise (1 hour hike up in dark for that... went up with a photographer called Jon that i met - poor guy... his camera broke just at the vital moment). and did a hair-raising hike up something called on the map at least ´Co. Madsen´ ... a long ridge sheer both sides follwed by a near vertical scramble. Views of a glaciar the other side were astounding though!

The last two days saw the wind and rain make an appearance. And what a wind....! That´s from me brought up in Scotland too!

Ok.. will post more when i get the piccies up... Going to relax for a day in El Chalten,,, large steaks and ice cream on the menu!

Nick





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb