The End of Argentina: Salta and Tilcara


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
May 27th 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

SaltaSaltaSalta

Seth, Gali
We got to Salta late Monday night, got some grub, however, most places were closed due to the fact that it was 25 de Mayo, Argentina´s independence day.

Tuesday we explored Salta, one of the next biggest cities after Buenos Aires, with approximately 485,000 inhabitants. We didn't care for this city at all. There was one nice plaza that had a european feel to it. As well, there was a gondola ride up one of the mountains to get a panoramic view of the city. We rode up the gondola and walked down the mountain. Fun but nothing too special.

Tuesday night the hostel organized an assado (BBQ). It was a lot of fun and we met some really cool people.

On Wednesday morning, we left Salta (a good thing too, it was raining). We meant to stop in Jujuy and then catch a night bus to Tilcara, but the bus stopped in Jujuy and it was pouring there as well so we ran off the bus got another ticket to head to Tilcara and got back on the same bus. It was a good decision, because when we got to Tilcara it was a bright sunny day!
Local SpecialtyLocal SpecialtyLocal Specialty

Pizza with Avocado
There were a bunch of people on the bus heading to a hostel, we decided to follow them and get a room there (Casa Colores). It happened to be lovely, about 5 minutes outside of the town on the side of a mountain, so nice. It is run by an older lady, so very clean! That night we cooked a chilli dinner. Yum yum and finally some kick! The Argentineans don't go for spicy at all!

On Thursday, we headed to a museum which showed artifacts from the Inca's and the pre-hispanic settlers. After we went on a bit of a walk to a site where the homes of the pre-hispanic settlers followed by the Inca's lived. The ruins were pretty cool, but wow, were they short and little people. The doorways are miniature!!!!! The downside to Tilcara is the weather, its FREEZINGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Asides for the weather, this town is amazing, I have never seen anything like it, 5,000 inhabitants, so cultural!

For our last Argentinean dinner we decided to splurge! Plus there was heat in the restaurant. My steak was delicious, so was Dani's and finally, Gali's veggie meal was delicious too!!

Next up - BOLIVIA!

(Thanks to Gali for letting me use her email for lots of this post)


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Salta: GondolaSalta: Gondola
Salta: Gondola

Gali, Seth
Salta: A View from AboveSalta: A View from Above
Salta: A View from Above

Gali, Seth, Dani
PucaraPucara
Pucara

Dani, Seth, Gali
TilcaraTilcara
Tilcara

Streets of Tilcara
TilcaraTilcara
Tilcara

Streets of Tilcara
TilcaraTilcara
Tilcara

Streets of Tilcara
Lighter anyone?Lighter anyone?
Lighter anyone?

We noticed shops that cell cigarettes often have lighters attached to them like pens at a bank.
Final meal in ArgentinaFinal meal in Argentina
Final meal in Argentina

Seth, Dani, Gali
Bye Bye!Bye Bye!
Bye Bye!

Dani, Seth, Gali


6th June 2009

One minute you are in touques, the next tank tops! Love the pictures, and look forward to your take on your expedition to the Salt Flats. Keep each other warm and safe. xoxo

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb