Bolivia Begins: Border and Tupiza


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Tilcara we took the bus north towards La Quiaca. The buses do not cross the border so we needed to find our way to the border crossing from the bus terminal. After working with conflicting directions we finally made it to the crossing. Crossing was much easier than we expected but we could have just gotten lucky so follow the suggestions in your guide book.

As soon as we crossed into Bolivia, we knew we were in a different country. The clothing, streets, people, products were all different than Argentina.

On our way to the bus station on the Bolivia side we ran into a few gringos and made good friends quickly. We teamed up with Dave and Lisa, then headed for the bank and the bus station.

The bus to Tupiza is 10 Bolivianos (Under $2 CND) and 3 hours long.

Tupiza is a relatively large town by Bolivian standards. It has electricity, phones, cell towers and internet. We stayed at La Torre Hostel. I suggest staying somewhere else. At first we thought it would be a great place but we were given false information and lied to by the hostel staff (Delmira) so I strongly recommend you stay somewhere else and don't book a tour with this agency.

Our day in Tupiza consisted of a 3 hour horseback riding excursion. The riding was fun but the sights were nothing to write home about. (Hence the lack of photos) We were lucky to have two guides and their aggregate age was just above ours so we felt safe. Eric and Javier were great guides even though they didn't speak English. Through hand gestures and similarities to French we were able to learn a bit about the area. Too bad there wasn't anything too interesting.

For our last meal in Tupiza we went to the Italian place suggested in the Lonely Planet. Food was good but the fact that the entire restaurant was full of tourists made for a good laugh. Come all the way to Bolivia and eat in a restaurant with no Bolivians. HA!

We only spent one day in Tupiza and that's all you need. We then booked our Salt Flats expedition.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Bye Bye Argentina!Bye Bye Argentina!
Bye Bye Argentina!

Don´t cry for me...
RidingRiding
Riding

Seth, Dani, Gali
RidingRiding
Riding

Gali
RidingRiding
Riding

Seth
RidingRiding
Riding

Our Guides: Eric, Javier
RidingRiding
Riding

Gali
RidingRiding
Riding

Dani


7th June 2009

Can't get enough of your posts!
Thanks for the update - hope you are all feeling better! Can't wait for more pics and more stories! xoxo Love Mom
9th June 2009

wow
just read your blog from the beginning, feel like i am travelling with you guys, love the pictures, and the commentaries from seth, look forward to more. continue to have fun and stay safe. love judi
11th June 2009

Seems enjoyable..Continue to have fun.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb