Food Glorious Food


Advertisement
Published: December 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Bariloche Town SquareBariloche Town SquareBariloche Town Square

More German Influence
Ohhhh, we’ve been eating well in Argentina, we have. Patagonia is a haven for carnivores and we’ve had our fill of the beef, lamb and pork available in the many good restaurants of Bariloche and El Bolson. Parillla y asadors are very popular here. Parilla means ‘grill’ and asador means ‘roast’. Some restaurants have whole roast lamb on display in the window. They cook over hot coals for half a day before they are put on a plate at dinner time. Menu’s are quite simple. There are only about 6 different meat dishes and perhaps only three sides to choose from. We’ve learnt that we don’t need to order one each. Servings are huge and can easily be shared.

As well as dinners, we’ve enjoyed the many chocolate shops in the area. I’m not sure why it is such a big thing here, but we’ve tasted them and watched different types of pralines being made by hand. The area is a fruit bowl for Argentina too. Raspberries and strawberries are in season and taste good on waffles or by themselves.

Then there are the hop fields. And what do you do with lots of hops? We’ll I’ve never seen
Cloudy day in BarilocheCloudy day in BarilocheCloudy day in Bariloche

Windy and cold at the start of our stay
so many breweries as there are in the three towns we’ve visited in Southern Argentina. The ones we’ve sampled have been very good too and they usually serve up good quality pub grub at a reasonable price. In general they are quite trendy places like the breweries in suburban Melbourne and Sunshine Coast. My favourite is called Wesley, in the heart of Bariloche. They have all the usual pale ales and golden ales and a selection of belgian style beers too.

As good as the beer is, we prefer something red, that comes out of a larger bottle to drink with our meat. Whilst it is no secret that Mendoza Malbec can be very good wine, we were recommended to try Patagonian Pinot Noir. We did and were not disappointed. I think the cool climate at these southern latitudes would be good for that varietal like it is in Tasmania and Victoria.

On top of all that we have developed a taste for dulce de leche. Last time we were in Argentina, we tried it once or twice and weren’t big fans of the stuff, but it is very common in sweets, icecreams and desserts and at a
RaftingRaftingRafting

When we stopped for a swim in the current
good restaurant, almost every dessert contained dulce de leche. We were given a little sample and loved the caramel looking and tasting gooey stuff. We ordered dulce de leche flans and mousse and have changed our mind. I’ve been looking for other ways to eat it now and tried it in alfajores this afternoon. Alfajores are a sandwich of two chocolate biscuits filled with dulce de leche and covered in a layer of milk chocolate. Yummmm.

We arrived in Bariloche with a plan to spend 6 nights and 5 days here. The first day we were going to plan our time and get a feel for the place, but we encountered a few difficulties. Firstly, everything was shut because an impromptu public holiday had been called to revere the world cup winning football team that were paraded through Buenos Aires in front of an estimated 5 million crazy Portenos. In the end they had to cancel the parade because it was too dangerous for the crowds and the players were flown over the capital by helicopter for an ‘aerial parade’. There was no parade here, but nothing was open. And as well as that, we decided that we didn’t like Bariloche (or the accommodation we had booked in Bariloche) as much as we liked our last port of call, Villa la Angostura. It is bigger, busier and the weather wasn’t as nice. There is often a cool breeze coming off the lake and the first few days we were in Bariloche were cloudy and cooler.

Because of the weather, our star gazing tour was cancelled on the first night too. We never had a chance to do that, which was something Leanne had been looking forward to.

We decided that we could see what we wanted to see in less time and have two days, one night, in a nearby small town called El Bolson. We caught an early bus, which broke down and we ended up arriving at El Bolson at the same time as the not so early bus. But we were picked up by the owner of our very comfortable apartment. He gave us lots of advice on what to see and do in a little over 24 hours. We had lunch and headed straight to the car hire place. The car hire place was closed. After ringing the doorbell, the car hire man’s mum yelled out to us from the third story and she made a phone call. He was with us within five minutes. Soon after, we had a little Chevrolet, that still hadn’t been cleaned from the previous customers. The Chevrolet had automatic absolutely nothing. Nathan learnt how to wind windows up and down by hand. He also leant how to close a car door that has no central locking. Do you remember the old locks that you had to hold the handle up to stop them from popping up when you shut the door? And I learnt to turn the indicators off after turning the corner. I don’t think that was meant to happen, but this probably wasn’t the best maintained car in town. The car reminded Leanne and I of the first cars we owned. It was much newer, of course, and I’m surprised they sell such a low speced car this century.

El Bolson had fantastic food and beer. We saw some good scenery as the town sits between two dramatic mountain ranges. The landscape around these towns is similar to Villa. There are mountains, with a bit of snow on high peaks, rivers, lakes and waterfalls surrounding these alpine retreats. With the car we were able to see the best parts in a relatively short stay.

Bariloche is a much larger town, and doesn’t have the cosy feel of its nearby smaller neighbours. There are lots of tourist services though and we had a good day rafting in class 2 rapids, which is as much as Nathan is allowed to do, at 11-years old. The tour was really good fun, made by the funny guide that took us and the friendly Mexican family who shared the raft with us.

">


When we got back to Bariloche, the weather improved and we took in the sights from the mountain/hill not far from the centre of town. There is a cable car to the top and in winter it is a ski run. A free bus took us to the bottom of the cable car and we were lucky to get there just in time for the last bus to the base, giving us enough time to see what we wanted to see before the last returning bus took us home again.

Streets in Bariloche are usually busy and at traffic lights you sometimes
Cabeza del IndioCabeza del IndioCabeza del Indio

It means the Indian's head. You can see why!
see street performers strutting their stuff infront of drivers, trying to earn a few pesos. Well this guy took it to the next level. We watched him do this every time the lights went red. He timed it to maximise his performance and I didn’t see him make any money from the drivers, so we had to slip him a few hundred pesos before we left.

">


Today is Christmas eve. The 24th is the main day for family celebrations in South America. So by 4 o’clock business started to close and the roads quietened down a little. We thought about experiencing a Chrismas meal at a restaurant, but for Christmas they are very expensive and dinner starts very late at night. So we had home cooked veal parmigiana instead and afterwards we went to the cathedral. We hadn’t been able to go inside when we went past other times. But the Christmas service was on and we finally got to see inside. Now, Nathan goes to a Chistian school and his favourite thing is Christian studies classes. But the only thing better than that is watching it in a language he doesn’t understand! (Beleive what you want.)
Mountains near El BolsonMountains near El BolsonMountains near El Bolson
Well, the stain glass windows looked very good from the inside and we only made him stay a short while.

As we strolled back home, we saw restaurants setting up and families arranging tables outside for meals that would commence at the time when western kids are tucked up in bed sleeping as Santa makes his way on his annual voyage. We noticed that at last the night sky was clear, but the star gazing tour man probably didn’t run his tour tonight. I feel sorry for him. The weather hasn’t been kind. Tonight’s forecast is for 1 degree, but it doesn’t feel cold yet. Tomorrow we will wake up and fly to Buenos Aires.

One last thing. As tourist we feel that locals try to take advantage of you by changing the price and expecting a large tip (not offering you your change). It’s a bit disappointing. We have to ask for the right price and they pretend it was a big misunderstanding or mistake on their part. We end up getting the right price, but it is annoying.

Oh, and in case if you come here, the name of that awesome restaurant in Bariloche is
Waterfall near El BolsonWaterfall near El BolsonWaterfall near El Bolson
Alto el Fuego. Great meat, wine and dulce de leche!

Feliz Navidad.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Rest timeRest time
Rest time
View from the top of the Cable Car rideView from the top of the Cable Car ride
View from the top of the Cable Car ride

By now the sun was out. Better views, warm days and we were all happier to be in Bariloche.
Beach on the lake.Beach on the lake.
Beach on the lake.
The Cathedral that we eventually went inside.The Cathedral that we eventually went inside.
The Cathedral that we eventually went inside.
Christmas presents on Christmas eve!Christmas presents on Christmas eve!
Christmas presents on Christmas eve!
Street performer juggling knives at traffic light.Street performer juggling knives at traffic light.
Street performer juggling knives at traffic light.
Inside the CathederalInside the Cathederal
Inside the Cathederal


Tot: 0.499s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb