Bariloche


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Neuquén
May 2nd 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

ViewViewView

Mighty climb to earn this photo
We learnt another lesson on our second overnight bus and that is that its better to be warm and cramped than spacious and cold. So with the heating broken in cama (sleeper class) and Matts failed attempt to complain to the driver (Leanne could only hear "Frio, Frio") we decided to attempt the unimaginable and sneak up stairs into second class where we were able to find a couple of nice warm seats and finally got some sleep.
We arrived in Bariloche which is the heart of the Lakes District of Argentina. What a wonderful site after such a long journey. Although not cold the air was crisp and fresh with hardly a cloud in the sky. Bariloche is surrounded by snow capped mountains and sits on the edge of a labyrinth of small lakes. It has got a rather Swiss-German feel with steeply pitched wooden chalets and oh you guessed, chocolate shops on every corner (Leanne is in heaven!). After a quick rush around town to tourist information offices we hatched a plan for the following days.
Yesterday we set off on a public bus bound for a tiny collection of wooden houses in a village called Colonial Suiz where
Too many rev´sToo many rev´sToo many rev´s

This bike doesnt know where the top is
we hired some mountain bikes for the days adventure. The plan was to navigate the famous Circuito Chico which is often completed in the comfort of a car but far more enjoyable on a bike as you wind up and down the mountains stopping every now and then for the awesome panoramic views of the surrounding lakes. There are two things must be brought to your attention if you plan on doing this ride and are probably best not learnt by our live and learn approach. First on the list is it is not only cars that drive on the right side of the road here!! Seems funny and logical and is a big worry when hiring a car but you forget this on a bike and especially not easily remembered on small country roads until your faced with a cars headlights and a not so friendly horn. Second tip for the day is Argentina for some kind of sick joke on foreigners have decided to reverse the front and back brakes and takes a little bit of priority reprogramming.
Realizing we were a little ahead of schedule we took several side detours including a great ride down the gravel
Team PhotoTeam PhotoTeam Photo

Time for a break from our busy schedule
road of Peninsula San Pedro. We discovered our amazing ability to doubt our navigating skills and after the second stop of deciding we had over shot the turnoff to find it was only 50m ahead of us we reverted back to trusting our judgement and fate.
After 5 hours of cycling we arrived back safely in Colonial Suiz with time to spare for a quick pint at the local before the bus headed back into Bariloche.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

RacingRacing
Racing

Wait up Mrs Codd!
Bridge ViewBridge View
Bridge View

Thinking?


2nd May 2008

Photos
Your photos are amazing keep them coming, they get me through the day knowing that one day i'll get to see those sites!!!! Hope you guys are still having fun. Can't wait to catch up in August xxx
4th May 2008

Not the first time you have been beaten up a hill by a girl, Woddy. Go Leanne!
4th May 2008

Well, lots like you're raising the competition... we might be hard pushed to beat thato n the mountain biking front.... but we will rise to the challenge and Montana might just win... depends on how the forest fires are when you get here. Beautiful photos.....
4th May 2008

are you sure you made it the top or just most of the way?
7th June 2008

Brings back memories. Great to see you're still ahead of the toy boy, Leanne. Enjoy the travels while you can (ie without rugrats). x

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb