Iguazu


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

One of the reasons we travelled to South America was to see Iguazu Falls; so on Monday 29 Jan we flew from Buenos Aires to the little town of Puerto Iguazu.

For those of you that don't know the area it is the pinch point between Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil with the falls are sandwiched between Brazil and Argentina.

Typically our plane was delayed so instead of ariving at 1400 we didn't get there until 1700. This was a little disapointing as we had planned to go to the Brasilian side of the falls that afternoon. So instead the first evening was spent by the hotel pool (hard life).

The following day we were taken to the National Park. There are a series of walkways on the Argentine side that lead you to various vantagepoints of the falls. The first we walk lead us to the Garganta Del Diablo, which is the largest of the falls and kicks up a whole lot of mist and spray due to the force and shear weight of water involved...

We were originally with a tour group and a guide, who in the morning had run us through the timetable of the day. Nic and I weren't too impressed with the speed at which you moved around the park so we opted to wander around at our own leisurely pace - well it was 38oC and 80% humidity, a triffle hot for us Brits, plus we wanted to stay at the Garganta Del Diablo longer than the guide had intended...

After visiting the main water fall we decided to do some of the circuits of the others, some of which were equally impressive.

By mid afternoon the heat was getting to us so at 1500 we jumped on a boat that takes a tour into the spray of three of the waterfalls. This was fun and really refreshing, much needed before the madness of excessive temps lead to our devorce......

We had a wonderful day despite the searing temperatures, and are really glad we decided to visit Iguazu, even if it was only for a day - and blew our budget for the month!!! (There is an airline here that almost has the monopoly on flights in Argentina, so can charge what they like to foreigners - this is typically 90% more....)


P.S. If you click on the film next to our photo at the top of the page, you'll get a small idea of what it was like at the Garganta del Diablo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

WaterWater
Water

lots of it....
Boat TripBoat Trip
Boat Trip

The boat ride goes into the spray of the falls...


4th February 2007

Hi it was nice to see the falls specially the video Dad was totally impressed. I wonder how long before he wants to go.How lovely that the weather is nice over there we're freezing at the moment.It would be a little too hot for me specially with that humidity. We're so glad your having a good time in Argentina it sounds fab. Speak soon love mum and dad
11th February 2007

Iguazu falls
Great to read your 3 blogs all at once - Buenos A is a must see city on my list and have actually just managed to see the falls on my pc with the video clip and it worked- amazing. great pics look forward to seeing the glaciers - am keeping track of where you are I think - love mum xx

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb