Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
February 1st 2007
Published: February 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

La Boca NeighbourhoodLa Boca NeighbourhoodLa Boca Neighbourhood

This was the first port, the residents couldn't afford to buy paint for their houses so they took the leftover tins from the port and painted them in different colours depending on what was available.
So long without news and then 3 blogs come at once, you lucky things!

We have been in Buenos Aires for a week now, its a great city - really busy especially at night. Like most places in Argentina it is quiet during the day when the sun is at its hottest, and everyone comes out in the late afternoon. Shops are open until 9-10pm which is great, you can go out, do some shopping then have dinner. Dinner is usually between 9 and 10pm, and often later, especially at weekends when the clubs don't OPEN until 2am......

We arrived here by bus, an overnight journey from Mendoza on an Andesmar bus - really comfortable, think I slept most of the night. Got in at 8am and jumped into a taxi at the bus station - the driver tried to fleece us out of a 100 peso bill, but we were quite on the ball for that time of day and foiled his dasterly plan! Our accomodation is a really nice B&B in the Palermo area run by a great Mexican lady called Lorena. She lived in France for a while, and speaks French, Spanish, English and even Portugese.
The Post OfficeThe Post OfficeThe Post Office

Seriously!!!! It takes up a whole block.
We feel really at home here and don't want to leave - wish we could find somewhere like this everywhere we stay. The breakfasts here are the best, and we had a BBQ last night, cooked by The King Of BBQ's, now renamed Parrilla Pierre. The meat here is so cheap and such great quality, a huge steak weighing 800g cost just 5 pesos - thats less than a pound ladies and gentlemen.....amazing.

We have explored the city quite a lot, especially the areas where there are clothes shops....have purchased some nice new clothes and feel a bit smarter when we're out in town, as opposed to our lovely trekking clothes we have been wearing for the last 2.5 months. People are very chic here, and dress in all the latest trends. Palermo is especially good for boutiques.

We spent an afternoon on a city tour, to see some areas we had not yet visited such as La Boca; a working class neighborhood with really colourful buildings and tango dancing in the streets. Recoletta was nice - the upper class area - and we went to the cemetary where important and rich people were buried in crypts, amongst
The Peurto de MujersThe Peurto de MujersThe Peurto de Mujers

Womens Bridge - all the streets in this area, called Puerto Madero, are named after women.
others ex-presidents and Eva Peron (Evita). An amazing place, see the photographs to get an idea.

We started this blog before we went to Iguazu and following two days there returned to Buenos Aires for a further four days. We had to move B&B´s as Lorena had no rooms left. she did let us stay one night for free in her lounge, which goes to show how nice a person she is. she actually offered to let us stay there for free for the remainder of our stay in BsAs but we required our own privacy and the room had no AC and it was still 30oC at 2300hrs...so we moved to another B&B a little further out of town. It had easy access to the large parks so we made use of them for our last few days....

Wandered to a see to large flower in one of the parks. This has become something of a symbol for BsAs and is fantastic. The park it is in has no other flowers, other than this large mechanical piece of art. It has a number of lights in it and at night they light up the inside of the
Maradona!Maradona!Maradona!

Outside the La Boca stadium where he first played. The Argentines are football crazy here.
flower. The petals close at night and open by day and as the surface is polished metal it reflects its surroundings....

On our last day we went to the Japonese garden and had a wander around that. The restaurant served sushi so had a chomp before making our way back to the B&B..

Have to say that BsAS is a fantastic city with lots going for it... am sad to be leaving and look forward to coming back...



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Recoletta CemeteryRecoletta Cemetery
Recoletta Cemetery

A very eery place....
EvitaEvita
Evita

Eva Peron's Crypt - we had to be shown where it was as it's hidden away.
Us at the Tango ShowUs at the Tango Show
Us at the Tango Show

Arrived on time, so its a bit empty!!!
TangoTango
Tango

The dancers.
The ObeliskThe Obelisk
The Obelisk

Symbol of Buenos Aires.
The ObeliskThe Obelisk
The Obelisk

Close-up


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb