Tossing and turning, in a bed that's too small


Advertisement
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
January 8th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -32.8927, -68.8331So I started this blog out with an entry called "Twisting and turning, in a space that's too small". Well, last night I was tossing and turning, in a space that's too small - these friggin' beds are tiny! Not only are they so short that my ankles are dangling off the end, but the bed is just barely wider than the width of my shoulders. Sleeping on su... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

g4g4
g4

Prepping the oven.
g41g41
g41

Rachel didn't really stick around for the cooking class - she was too busy taking photos of the scenery. We all joked that Heidi was going up the mountain to do some yodeling, but deep down, we all worried that a hawk might swoop down and carry her away.
g5g5
g5

Some old school skies hanging in the lodge.
g9g9
g9

Raw meat + fire + Argentinian know-how = PHENOMENAL!!!
g91g91
g91

The cooks were pretty goofy and entertaining. We later found out that this was because they had a huge stash of weed. No kidding!
g92g92
g92

Some nibbles while we waited for the meat to roast - we munched on a huge platter of serrano ham, two types of salami, cheese, olives (yech!), almonds, nuts, thin slices of toasted foccaccia ... perfect with the loads of excellent wine that we were plied with! We were offered a few different wines, but I can only clearly remember the Syrah.
g93g93
g93

Asian-style - I thought only us Asians wrapped our remote controls in Saran wrap?
hh
h

There is NO better way to spend a lazy afternoon, than in front of a fire, loungin with friends!
h1h1
h1

No, I don't have a foot fetish! Or do I? I do seem to take a lot pictures of my disgusting feet when I travel ...
h2h2
h2

Rachel, before seeing my disgusting feet.
h21h21
h21

Rachel, AFTER seeing my disgusting feet.
h9h9
h9

The first item that was ready were the buns - terrible! Dry, hard, overly-dense, flavourless, lacking salt ... and some of them were burnt.
zjzj
zj

Luckily, the empanadas were EXCELLENT - the filling was perfectly seasoned, and more importantly, there were no olives! The crust was wonderfully crisp, and second only to the incredible pastry of La Serena's empanada master. Without a doubt, these were the second-best empanadas I've had on the trip. Though whoever ended up eating my ugly little empanadas probably would say that while delicious, they ate the UGLIEST empanadas ever made!
zkzk
zk

The meat, slowly roasting away, almost ready.
zlzl
zl

And finally ... the meat was ready ... OMG!!!! Some of the beef was a little bit tough, but incredibly sweet and delicious. Sliced potatoes roasted with a dollop of pesto were a great complement to the meat-heavy meal, but I avoided them, so as to leave plenty of room for the meat itself! The ribs were tasty - tender, with a perfectly-caramelized crust. So good, so beautiful ... the only non-beautiful item of food offered to us today was the blood sausages. Iain loved them, and I think everybody ended up offering him their portion. The regular sausages I did eat, and they were quite good.
zmzm
zm

Some salads were served with the meat ...
znzn
zn

... but honestly, at an Argentinian BBQ, veggies are just a formality!
zozo
zo

Flan - kinda burnt, and kinda crappy.
zpzp
zp

This refinery was right NEXT to a vineyard, and you could see the flare stack going. How BAD must those grapes taste? We want a winery, not a refinery!
zqzq
zq

The final winery and final wine tasting of the day, and for the trip :(



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb