bikes and wine (the cheap version)


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
December 9th 2006
Published: December 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

All over Mendoza there are fliers for the "Bikes and Wine" tour. Mendoza is Argentina's wine center, so most people visting there check out the wineries - at least for a day. Anyway, for some reason we (Spencer, Rene, Andy and I) decided that riding bikes from winery to winery sampling delicious wines sounded good. It actually sounds good when I write it like that. You picture the idlyic path with birds chirping and the wind blowing, don't you? Well that's what I imagened as well. WRONG. Try something like 95 degrees on the main road (and I use the term road liberally here - more like a series of dirt potholes with some asphalt in between here and there) with huge trucks whizzing 2 inches form you at 60 mph on 20 year old generic huffy special bikes - and the wineries are about 3 miles apart. Sounds terrific doesn't it. The wineries were terrific, but we really should have thought about the transport a bit more before making our decision. Oh well, it makes for a pretty funny story at least.
I have pics from the other 2 days we were there as well. We just walked around Mendoza one day and to a park in the East of the city and the next day Peter, Tristan and I hired a taxi and went to this deserted old resort called Villavicencia. We hiked around a bit even though there were no trails. Enjoy the pics...


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Lovely intestines aren't they?Lovely intestines aren't they?
Lovely intestines aren't they?

We were the only people at this "restaurant" that just cooked us up whatver they wanted. We all really enjoyed the intestines that Spencer is modeling.
me, rene, spencer, and andyme, rene, spencer, and andy
me, rene, spencer, and andy

at the last wine tasting - all of us were a feeling quite good at this point
Our fist hikeOur fist hike
Our fist hike

We arrived in Mendoza in the morning and decided to explore the city. We ended up walking at least 4 or 5 miles to the top of some small mountain overlooking Mendoza
Tristan, Peter, me and AndyTristan, Peter, me and Andy
Tristan, Peter, me and Andy

Rene took the picture. TristanĀ“s a med student taking about 8 months off to travel around South America. Peter was on his 2 weeks of vacation and is from Jersey. He did a whirlwind tour of Argentina and wound up in Santiogo Chile with us for one night.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb