Buenos Dias Argentina...Che


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba
December 25th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A little Excited...A little Excited...A little Excited...

life is a chore sometimes
Having travelled with work all year in the comfort of business class it was a while before I would accept the news Sheena broke to me in the aeroplane at JFK that there was no "horizontal" seat button....gutted!

A quick stop in Santiago, Chile and a quick hop straight over the Andes to Cordoba, Argentina to see old friends and my "other family". The flight was maybe one of the best I´ve taken ever - the cordillera covered in snow and glistening in the morning light as the sun rose...quite incredible.

We were eventually met in Cordoba by Diego & his soon to be wife Virginia - it took me 10mins to recognise him with short hair as opposed to the mini Bob Marley that I said good bye to 9 years ago.

Straight to the hotel and then...que sorpresa..un asado (BBQ) washed down with a fair amount of tinto (Red Wine). It only took 4 hours between landing and eating what would be 1 of many cows in 3 days. It´s hard to think how a pork sausage and a burger is ever going to cut it once I get back to England.

We spent the next day driving up to the Sierras which border the city - they were desparately in need of rain - the rivers had dried up and the vegetation was straw like...beautiful nonetheless. The afternoon was spent dodging bouts of torrrential rain in the city with Agustín. There has been so much development in Cordoba in the past 9 years it´s quite incredible. The city is expanding and swallowing up what used to be bordering towns; the cars are newer and there are more trendy cafés that have opened. It all has the feel of place that is discovering new wealth and rapidly growing.

The wedding came around very quickly. Argentinians are the only ones I know that would organise the Church service at 10pm and then party till 5am. It goes down as one of the best weddings I have ever been to. The family sang at the service a beautiful love song as Diego and Virginia walked down the aisle. Half way through the evening at the reception everyone started to dress up in costumes that had been made by Diego´s mother, Aunt and Grandmother. In seconds I was surrounded by punk rockers, Minnie Mouses, overgrown babies, and
Cordoba CityCordoba CityCordoba City

A beautiful church now only visible since the womans penetitiary has been converted and the high walls knocked down...just one example of the development occuring
wizards. I love the way Grandparents and children of all ages were still at the party till the end, just one illustration of how important the family is here. 2000 empanadas, 4 whole sheep legs and several cervezas later it was time to leave.

As if there was a quota on the number of livestock we would have to consume prior to being allowed to leave Cordoba, we were whisked off the next morning to one last asado in Villa Allende a small pueblo outside of Cordoba where Diego´s grandmother lives. Every Sunday the whole family (about 40 people across 4 generations) gather. Sheena & I have been made to feel like part of the family (as a I was 9 years ago) - they really are a very special group of people.

A quick final tour of downtown Cordoba with Agustin, Natalia (la novia) and Cecilia and time to leave. We load our bags onto the (wrong) bus....panic and then finally find our way on to what feels like BA First class... National Express should be ashamed. Just enough time to watch the first episode of 24 on the ipod before getting some sleep....buenas noches...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Old FriendsOld Friends
Old Friends

Agustín and his girlfriend Natalia.
The Bride and GroomThe Bride and Groom
The Bride and Groom

Not your average wedding party!!
No Wooden legs hereNo Wooden legs here
No Wooden legs here

Sheena dancing the cuarteto...hermosa!


27th December 2007

FUN FUN FUN!
Looks like your trip so far has been great! Hope you guys keep enjoying!
30th January 2008

And the Crow?
How come?! You forced us to the Crow and won't even mention the filthy hole you used to dragg us down to have fernet! Haha. Please come back soon. You're the best possible excuse for asados, wines and bar tours. Keep travelling, keep enjoying.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb