A little Trip to Uruguay


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
December 26th 2007
Published: December 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Having walked the length and breadth of BA the day before we succumbed to the attraction of both hitting our 40th country so the next day we took a short trip in el Buquebus (Boat) over to Uruguay for the day. The boat left at 7am so we got to the port with plenty of time until Sheena breaks the news she has left her customs papers in the hostel....no trouble. We got from the port-hostel-port (this time with all papers) in a time even Schumacher would have been impressed with.

Colonia del Sacramento is a very quaint town on the edge of el Rio del Plata - the stretch of water seperating Argentina from Uruguay. I can´t imagine it´s representative of the rest of Uruguay (then again neither is New York) but definitely worth a trip. The town has clearly benefitted from the influx of tourists - the buildings are in good condition, the gardens well kept and yachts moored in the harbour that would look more at home in Monaco.

We climbed the lighthouse in the old quarter given us a 360 view of the town and across the rio del plata and had a coffee at a cafe where the owner had displayed an eclectic collection ranging from old records, telephones and a water pump!

An obligatory photo under the "Welcome to Uruguay" sign and both admiring the fresh stamp in our passport we headed back to BA.








Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A Bizarre CollectionA Bizarre Collection
A Bizarre Collection

This cafe had everything from turn of the century water pumps to old records


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb