Tango Finally and a Trip to Tigre


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tigre
March 3rd 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are nearing the end of this trip....and doing some of the things we missed at the beginning of the trip here...

Yesterday, we walked arcross the city from our hotel through St. Telmo (where BA originated) to La Boca (where immigrants arrived, and tango grew famous, along with soccer) for about 7 hours, stopping for meals and sights. We strolled through antique markets, got caught in a thunderstorm, walked into La Boca (where looking at poverty painted bright colors is a tourist attraction), walked with the crowds waiting to to get into the Boca Juniors game (where Maradona played...) and decided not to join them (a good idea it turned since the thunderstorms increased as the gane time neared), and watched tango finally....

The day before, we spent time with Silvina and Enders, the couple we met in Salta.

Today, we went with Enders to Tigre, on the river delta up from BA. It was an hour train trip up the river from BA.. we met an Aussie couple on the train and the 5 of us spent the day together....we had a few mishaps in catching various local commuter boats up and down the canals and
Tucked in bed on the bus from Mendoza to BATucked in bed on the bus from Mendoza to BATucked in bed on the bus from Mendoza to BA

The full reclining seats were great...but we were awoken at 5:30 am for breakfast.....
small rivers (such as hearing the next boat was "manana"), but had splendid day in the end....the canals are lined with beautiful summer homes of the rich and not so rich....

All for now...it is late and we have to get up early to go to Colonia in Uruguay tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The old wholesale market in BA has been made into a mallThe old wholesale market in BA has been made into a mall
The old wholesale market in BA has been made into a mall

It is an amazing structure..goes on forever!
With Silvina and EndersWith Silvina and Enders
With Silvina and Enders

Silvina leaves tomorrow to speak at a large agricultural meeting west of BA. She is an expert in development of industry and commerce...
Paint StorePaint Store
Paint Store

There are paint stores everywhere here...even in the best neighborhoods..
The old building where we waited out the rain..The old building where we waited out the rain..
The old building where we waited out the rain..

This was once the home of a very wealthy family. Wealthy people eventually moved away from the river, up the hill, to avoid yellow fever, and pooer immigrants moved in, a family to each room....it is now an antique market.
Opposing team fans arriving in three busesOpposing team fans arriving in three buses
Opposing team fans arriving in three buses

That is all that are allowed to come...with a police escort!
The very stinky riverThe very stinky river
The very stinky river

There are govenment promises to clean it up...but nothing yet....it is really awful...


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb