Amongst the Dead in Recoleta


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well at the moment we are waiting before we head to the bus station for a 40hr journey to El Calafate in Southern Argentina where we will visit the glacier, in which we are quite excited about.

Today we began with a long walk into the micro centre of the city to collect our bus tickets and and make reservations for a bus to Chille later in the week, we then managed to catch a local bus to Recoleta one of the cities richest areas, here we spent a couple of hours walking around the famous Recoleta Cemetery, which was absolutely amazing, inside the gates is what could almost be mistaken for a miniature city, with the most amazing tombs you could imagine, most of which are huge and lavishly decorated, within the confines of the cemetery also lays the body of Eva Peron better know as Evita, it is Evitas resting place that is visited by many people each day. Within many of the tombs you may see alters, religious monuments, and elaborate coffins, some tombs holding 6 or more coffins of various sizes, other newer tombs have photographs etc, it was quite easy to spend a really long time wandering around there.

After our visit to the cemetery we took a walk along the most exclusive street of the area with all of the big labels such as armani, versace etc, before taking a very long walk back to the hotel, succumbing to Mc Donalds along the way. I must say that Buenos Aries is definetely a walkable city, although I am quite impressed with my navigation skills.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb