En route to Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 19th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Uyuni we had some very unpleasant bus experiences as we bounced our way south and a little sideways and then south again to the border with Argentina. As Caitlin counted the hours to the next bathroom and the number of Bolivian buses left I mourned the Bolivian vineyards we were not able to visit, but then tried some Bolivian wine and decided it wasn´t much of a loss.

From the border we jumped on another bus. An Argentinian bus. And Caitlin smiled. And then she went to the bathroom. And then we wound our way through crazy coloured valleys, past the Quebrada de Humahuaca and countless cute little villages to the city of San Salvador de Jujuy. And we were back. Thus there was icecream. Ahhh dulce de leche. Unfortunately the hostel with a pool and laundry service did not have a pool, nor a washing machine. And the Greek restaurant did not serve Greek food. It did do a mean steak and so we were satisfied.

From Jujuy we jumped on a very long, bingo-playing bus to Buenos Aires. En route we were delayed and left awaiting our dinner until well after midnight, and broke down for three hours just before lunch. We were hungry, grumpy chickens. And then we saw the lights of BA before us and we were joyus. Then, as we approached the darkened terminal (three hours late, mind) we heard a bang and a crash and all the other passengers started to jump up yelling and screaming. The bus screeched to a halt, the assistants jumped out, and more yelling ensued. It turns out someone from the shadows had run to the bus, opened the luggage hold, jumped inside and passed several items out to his waiting accomplices. Not a nice welcome. Luckily for us it was not our luggage and so we avoided the creepy man at the taxi rank, found ourselves a friendly driver and set off into our first Buenos Aires night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb