Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 9th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So this morning the insurance company says "The bad news is we don't know where your bags are. The good new is that they are not in Miami"...hmmmm? I guess that's good news ? We decided not want to wait around on baggage that might or might not come so I think we are going to head for Uruguay without them.

We enjoyed another day of walking around. We must be getting old because we went to the Art Museum...it was great.

I am sick of not having access to my computer so we were in hot pursuit of a computer cord and I found one. Only after going into about a dozen different electronic stores making a fool of myself with spanglish and hand gestures. $110 USD...OUCH!, but we did it. I still do not have a charger for my camera but I found where I can buy one if I get desperate. Electronics are all more expensive here.

-Break-

We got a message that our bags were at the airport waiting for us to pickup. We were sort of excited but sort of bummed too. It is so nice to have just our carry-on. We
Nice Architecture in Buenos AiresNice Architecture in Buenos AiresNice Architecture in Buenos Aires

I think this was the French Embassy
really did pack light. Two pants, two t-shirts, two shorts, 3 socks etc. BUT we brought a very small 3 lb. tent and ultra light weight down sleeping bags, and warm jackets incase we end up in Ushuaia. All that stuff takes up space. Not to mention how painful the thought of hot sleeping bags and warm jackets are when its 90+ F each day. We have 35 lbs each for 5 weeks of travel.
Anyways, we decided to hire a personal taxi out to the airport to get our stuff. They are awesome drivers down here, North Americans are such lilys. I'm growing ever more frusterated with with America's zero tolerance for "risk". It's all in the name of not getting sued and has much less to do with "safety." In Argentina everyone just watches their own butt and gets 'er done. We were doing 140 in this old VW it was great...the speed limit was 100 (KPH of course). People hang out the city bus doors, mopeds pull trailers in rush hour traffic, city busses plow through pedestrian intersections with the beep beep of a horn, motorcyle drivers dial while they drive, I love it. If you fall out of the bus and get run over its your own stupid fault for hanging out the door. This concept should be a no-brainer.
Where was I...Oh ya' so we got our bags without a hitch. We were personally walked through customs by our new baggage friend Leondro. The customs agent just smiled and waved us through...very nice people in Argentina.

-Break-

Well we are headed for Uruguay and have decided to stash the bulk of our luggage in the Retiro Bus Station lockers. We will be traveling with Buquebus. A 1 hour ferry ride to Colonia Uruguay, and then 4 hours on a bus to Punta del Este "the land of the rich, famous, and beautiful, we should fit right in :o)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

All of our luggageAll of our luggage
All of our luggage

The big bags get stashed at the bus station and the small ones go to Uruguay.
Retiro Bus Station Buenos AiresRetiro Bus Station Buenos Aires
Retiro Bus Station Buenos Aires

So many people it's almost scary...to an Alaskan.
Argentinian friendsArgentinian friends
Argentinian friends

Guys at the cafe who wanted a photo. The people here are great.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb