We finally crossed the Equator. We are in Buenos Aires.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 11th 2009
Published: January 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our Hotel LobbyOur Hotel LobbyOur Hotel Lobby

Great Hotel with helpful staff and excellent breakfast- no complaints.
We arrived in Buenos Aires at 7 am with slightly more than the clothes on our backs. The last we have heard from the insurance company is that luggage is backed up all over the world and that even if it made the switch (Alaska Airlines through Aerolinas Argentinas to American Airlines) weight could be a problem and the bags might sit in Miami for some time. We found the guy in charge of lost luggage and he was very reassuring and helpful. Good thing for Samantha’s high school Spanish and her studies before we left because Argentinians no comprendo my spanglish.

NOTE: do not exchange USD at the airport 50 cents on the peso to your loss compared to downtown…ouch. I lost 25 buck right off the bat--live and learn I guess.

We took a shuttle from the airport to downtown BA and then wandered around until we more or less stumbled across our
street. The Dazzler Suites Arroyo is very nice and reasonably priced at $75 USD a night. We took a short nap and then went for a long walk…it was great! This place makes Chicago look like a small town, an absolutely amazing
Moments after arriving in Buenos AiresMoments after arriving in Buenos AiresMoments after arriving in Buenos Aires

Very little sleep, Lost, Confused, Frusterated, Crowded, Hot, Hungry, and you should have seen me. Traveling is great.
number of people, 13.8 million people. That is 2.5 million more people than NYC and Chicago combined...and it feels like it. We bought a few more things (on the insurance company) like sunglasses and a t-shirt its 90 F down here! Holy Canolee! Biggest bummer is that I have no power cord for my computer and no charger for my camera.
Florida Street is the main tourist area. Things are expensive but it is a really cool spot to experience. The food here is very good. Relatively “normal US” prices to eat out in downtown BA. Of course as soon as you go to a super market things are very, very reasonable. A loaf of good bread $1, three small beef steaks $1.30, a six pack of bottled Heineken is $1.25, a bottle of red wine is $2…ya’ that’s what I said. Other things like Gillett razors, and cheese are more like home prices.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Good DinnerGood Dinner
Good Dinner

Our first dinner in BA. About 10 USD without the water and 17 USD with the it. Beer is cheaper than water... yikes, we're learning.
Can you see Samantha?Can you see Samantha?
Can you see Samantha?

The super mercado is much cheaper.
My new shirtMy new shirt
My new shirt

The insurance company bought me a nice shirt with chest pockets for our Passports.
Argentina here we come!Argentina here we come!
Argentina here we come!

As soon as we are over this jet lag.


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb