Adri & Mitch - Day 6 Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Usually these blogs are short and to the point, but so many messed up things have happend in just a few hours that it is worth talking about. Lets start with last night. We had dinner reservations at an Italian restaurant called Marcelo’s. Probably, on any other night Marcelo’s would have been at a minimum fare; but being that last night was New Year’s Eve, things were not what we expected. The food was at best a “C” and the whole restaurant was designated smoking. Not being accustomed to inhaling second hand smoke made it quite difficult to breath. That was the worst of it. There were some good things. They had a DJ with real cool music, and at Midnight, everyone headed outside for a firework display on the docks. Taxi’s were scarce last night. Most of them took the evening off and we had to become aggressive in catching one. None the less, we caught one; and the female taxi driver almost ran a young woman over crossing the street. I tell you, this place does not recognize pedestrian. That poor girl had to literally jump back. This time we would not have just seen a dead person, we would have witnessed the vehicular homicide.

Today we are off to El Calafate. This is where the Glacier National Park is located. There are two airports in BA. One for domestic flights, the other for international flights. El Calafate is in Argentina and the airline confirmation tells us to go to the domestic airport. I'm sure you can guess happened next. When we go to check in, the agent tells us we are at the wrong airport. We show her the confirmation and she agrees, there is a mistake. She really didn't seem sorry about the error. She said, "You can still make it. Grab a taxi outside". Aggghhh! Make us mad!

So we grab a taxi and told him our situation. That man was heaven sent. All that little black and yellow tin can needed was a set of rails to be a bullet train. We got to the international airport to take a domestic flight in record time. God Bless Crazy Argentine Taxi Drivers.

Four hours later we are in El Calafate. We are almost at the end of the world. We are litteraly 300 miles from the South Pole and right on the border of Chile. This is an ice climbers paradise. This place is amazing. The vegetation is basically all shrubs. It is cold and dry. Barren land dotted with with expansive lakes and a large river criss crossing the landscape. The population is made up of lots of little people all wearing tuxedos.

Tomorrow we will get our first view of the glaciers.

For dinner Mitch ordered a steak and they brought him an entire cow.

PS Sorry no pix today. Promise tomorrow it will be made up.
PSS For Les. Regarding the era of disappearing people, one cannot talk about it unless they too may disappear.

Advertisement



2nd January 2009

Wow!
Great story. They must get their cabbies trained in Manhattan. All I can say about the disappearing people is WOW! We'll have to talk about that when you get back. Can't wait to see the photos.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb